Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono261970

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hello,

I have just had a 2mb broadband link installed. I have put the DNS details into the router. In order for users to access the internet I have to put the DNS details and the GW address into the TCP/IP properties of the workstation.

Is there a way to do this automatically?

If I install DHCP on the server will it allow the workstations to pick up the DNS and default GW as well as the IP for the workstation.

I am using NT 4.0 SP6 and win98/NT4.0 workstations.

Thanks in advance.

Jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

Hi Jono

The quick answer is yes, if you install DHCP you can configure all sorts of information to be given to the clients as well as the IP address, including DNS servers and default gateway.

John

Hello John,

thanks for the reply. I have installed DHCP and have set-up a scope, however it appears that you can only lease an IP address. There is no mention of DNS or gateway IP's.

Am I missing something?

cheers,

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

With DHCP manager open, go into "DHCP options", "scope". Now, the two that you need are 003 router (use this for gateway address) and 006 DNS server.

After you fix this then the new leases will have the correct information automatically loaded onto the workstations.

Thanks wolf :O)

Hi Jono

In order to save yourself future headache, I would seriously consider setting up an internal DNS server (could be on an existing server) to be allocated to existing machines. Then, forward requests to external sites that can't be resolved internally to the DNS servers at your ISP, with a local cache.

This will be advantageous should you wish to upgrade your system to Win2K, XP or something else at a future date which requires an internal DNS, and also means you can change ISP more easily should you wish to do so.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back