Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

We are a private school and we have teachers who work in the classroom/office during the day on the (192.168) subnet and then when they go home on campus at night they work on the (192.169) subnet. So we have 1 DHCP server that hands out addresses to the 192.168 (we have no problems with IP Addresses running out on this) subnet and the 192.169 subnet. We have noticed that the IP Addresses available has been going to 0 on the 192.169 range so when this one teacher tries to login to the network at night there are 0 IP Addresses available. My question is how can I make sure this guy gets an IP Address at night when he goes home (I know the logical answer is to increase the IP address range)? Is there a way to setup an IP Address reservation on the 192.169 network for his computer name and mac address? If I do setup a reservation will his workstation have to be setup for a static IP? Or can I setup a reservation on the 192.169 for his IP Address, leave his network settings alone on his workstation so he gets his IP Address from a DHCP server would he still be able to connect to both subnets with this reservation on the 192.169 subnet? Hope I didn't make this too long and confusing, please respond if you have any thoughts or if I should revise this.

Thanks in advance,
Zoey

Zoethecat,

a couple of things you can do.
1. set up a client reservation for your client or
2. set up the lease time to be of less time.

Sounds as thought the DHCP lease time is too long.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply. The solution for us was to increase the IP Address range.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back