Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhsinger

Programmer
Apr 12, 2001
US
Can someone please help?

I am having problem recognizing my DHCP server (Linksys Cable Modem Router) from a laptop running Windows 2000 Pro and using a Linksys PCM100 card. All LED's on the card and on the router seem to be correct.

When I boot up, I get the autoconfiguration 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address assigned when DHCP cannot be reached.

This should be a VERY simple process, but it is not. I have the latest drivers for the card, I tried multiple ports on the hub. I tried a different cable. I have even re-intalled Win 2000. Nothing seems to be working correctly. I am out of options other than recognizing that there may be a hardware problem. Any other ideas?

Well this is what I would try:
The manual that came with the Linksys will tell you what IP range it assigns. Give the laptop a static IP and reboot. See if that gets you on the network.

If it does, go to the configuration page and check the settings. You'll need to make sure it's set up to be a DHCP server, by defualt it should be but it's quick an easy to check.

The second thing you need to check...well I cant remember the second thing because I'm at work and I have the Linksys but it's at home. The second thing you need to check has something to do with whether the Linksys is the only router on the network. I forget exactly what the wording is.

At least try the static IP so you can get at the configuration web page. If the static IP isn't working either then you have something more insidious wrong.

You nic probably is having a hard time with auto-negotation. Try locking the nic to 10mb half duplex that may work. If not use another nic one that's either 10 or 100 not a 10/100 which uses autonegotation. Also try a different cat 5 cable.

Router? DHCP can't go through routers (broadcast) unless there is a DHCP Proxy. That could be one of the reasons why it's not getting the IP. Unless you can manage the router to allow broadcasts to go through, then you're going to have to make one of the PCs on the Laptop segment a DHCP proxy. And, the router must allow bootp. How do all the other PCs on the laptop segement get their IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back