Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP problems with stale sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

typhoon52x

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
GB
Hi,

Hope somebody can help as im stuck on this!
My setup is i have a Bt voyager router, and 4 client PC's connected to this via a network switch. The router is set to DHCP and all clients issued ip's from this

The problem has arisen for no apparant reason other than adding the 4th client 2 days ago.
Sometimes you cant get an internet connection or network connection, however if you goto ipconfig and release and then renew all works fine!
The problem is intermittant one day it will work others it wont, the dhcp list seems to keep clients on it even tho they disconnected days before?

My ISP said it is due to 'stale sessions' and only support they could offer was to goto static IP's and disable DHCP on the router.

Any advice appreciated! All worked fine till 4th client added but that could be coincidence!

I had a very similar problem. My main machine would work just fine, but my wireless laptop would lose connectivity every so often. Even created a batch file that did the release/renew for me. Finally got the cable provider to admit that what I needed to do was go into the config on my wireless router, and clone the mac address of my desktop's nic. This way, the router shows up with one ip address to the outside world, which is actually the address of my desktop. Everything else on the inside of my network never shows up to the outside world, and they can still access the net via dhcp. Ask the provider about that, or go to the BT website for product info. Is this wireless or wired?
Wired routers
Wireless routers

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

hi glenjohnson, thanks for reply

it is a wired network, if i did clone the mac address of desktop, wouldnt i have to have that machine on for any others to access the net?

how would i go about changing the mac address of my router?

No, the only other thing you would have to have on would be the router. Mine is on at all times, so I can fire up my desktop or laptop, without the other being on. At this time, neither has any cabling going to the router/cable modem. Both use wireless nics, so I can move either to anyplace I want. Good luck.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back