Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

leobis

Technical User
Aug 10, 2002
IT
Hi all,
all of sudden my Domain controller (W2K adv. Server) which is a DHCP server too, is experiencing this problem:

Error Message - CANNOT FIND THE DHCP SERVER

The Dhcp server you specified cannot be located. The DHcP server might be down, there might be network problems or the Dhcp service might not be installed

The error was: The DHCP Server is not running on the target computer

below are the error messages displayd in the event viewer:

Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID 7022

The DHCP Server service hung on starting.

Source: Perflib
Event ID 2002

The open procedure for service "PerfDisk" in DLL "D:\WINNT\System32\perfdisk.dll" has taken longer than the established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.

In the services console, the DHCP server service are displayed the following setting

Startuo Type: Automatic
Log on As: Local systems

What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance
Leonardo

Seems dhcp is no longer starting automatically on your server.

Try starting the DHCP services manual from "services" (you probably allready tried..?).

Try rebooting the machine and see if the problem still exists.

If you know the settings (ip-ranges etc.) that were configured in your DHCP server you could uninstall this "service" from the server and after that, re-install.

This does not take too much time, but you need to know how it WAS configured..

Regards, Ferdinand

Hi Haveman, and thanks for your help but unfortenately the problem has not been fixed; I did as you suggested me, and when I started the DHCP server service manually it started smoothly; I disinstalled the DHCP from the Windows installation component, and then after I reinstalled this service but when rebooted the same problem ..... to tell the truth sometimes twhen rebooting the DHCP service automatically starts, let's 1 out 6 rebooting (I usaully switch off my Domain Controller, which is the DHCP server too, when I finish working since this is only an environmental test network).
Any further suggestions?
Thanks
Leonardo

Hi,

Did you configure the DHCP server? check with microsoft how to do this (or check a book).

Regards, Ferdinand

I am assuming your IP address is a fixed address and not itself trying to get a dynamic IP

The TCP/IP stack may be corrupt, try removing TCP/IP and then installing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back