Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2000
US
I am setting up DCHP server on a PDC. I added the service and set the PDC to have static addresses. I also set DHCP for automatic startup. Here's the problem. When the PDC boots, or I try to manually start DHCP, I get a message in the event viewer telling me "The DHCP server failed to initialize winsock data."

I checked Technet and "one possible reason" for this problem is leading zeros in the PDCs IP address. This is not the problem I have.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Try un-installing DHCP and re-installing it
you will have to re-boot several times during this process.

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

I need to know two things:
1) What if any is the scope you created?
2) Is it in the same segment as your PDC?

I haven't gotten so far as to declare a scope. I add the DHCP Server service and reboot. After rebooting the DHCP service will not start. Upon checking the Event Viewer I get the message above (Error code 1007).

As suggested on several message boards, I have tried the following:

a) make sure there are no leading zeros in the IP address,
b) make sure the server is not also a winsock proxy server,
c) re-install.

I've tried all of that and nothing has worked yet. I would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Turns out this server had 6 nics. I uninstalled 4 of them, teamed the other two, and DHCP started up fine. Don't why the extra nics caused the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back