Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP or DNS , Take a crack at it! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubolplay1

Technical User
May 8, 2004
US
THe issue is simple, my windows 2000 client does not have internet connectivity. Now, I don't understand what is going on, because my linux box will and never lose connectivity. I am running dual nics and I am running ICS ,the card is set to 192.168.0.1 and I also had to install DHCP/DNS/AD servers for RIS . Now, whenever I run nslookup on the client machines , it is not registering anything. It gives me the loopback address and it doesnt work. Now, I have done some reading and I know the DHCP server cannot assign gateways, then who does ??

Here is the error I get on the server in event viewer.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DhcpServer
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1051
Date: 5/8/2004
Time: 5:03:31 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WIN2KSERVER
Description:
The DHCP/BINL service has determined that it is not authorized to service clients on this network for the Windows domain: win2k.server.net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Carlos

Well, I do not know if this wil help, but under the forward lookp zone properties I tried resolving the nameserver and it told me The Ip address associated with the Ip record could not be found. Now, what is that all about ?
And what Ip should the server be, 192.168.0.1 or the actual ip given by the ISP. THanks!

Open Dhcp, Right-click DHCP in the upper-left corner of the DHCP screen, and then press Manage Authorized Servers. If your server is not already listed, press Authorize, and enter the IP address of the RIS server. You can tell also if the dhcp server listed has a red icon next to it that it's not been authorized. When setting up dhcp, you need to authorize dhcp, and when installing scopes, you need to activate scopes. Hope this helps.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Thanks for your help, but the DHCP server is authorized already and all scopes as well.
I guess my question really is in windows 2000 pro you would do it by enabling ICS, how would you do it in windows 2000 server correctly.

I just want to have my clients connect to the internet , lan and do it consistently and correctly. I am having a hard time setting this up and I do not why ?
It worked for a little bit and then it didn't .
Thanks , Carlos!

The event viewer log error is already posted on top. is there another which I do not know about ?

You cant run ICS + DHCP on the same network, ICS has a mini dhcp server running in it already, so when you try to start your main DHCP server it will fail to start because there is already a DHCP server on the network running. Disable ICS and setup NAT on the server or get a router todo the NAT for you.

Faithless : When you say " setup NAT on the server", you mean I can set that up on the DHCP server and if so how would I go about that ? Thanks for the tip though, sincerely, Carlos!

You can setup NAT throught RRAS snap-in. Im assuming that your Win2k Server is your main point to the internet ?

I would recommend getting a router todo this for you, also what type of internet connection are you using?

Also another thing in your main question you said that the DHCP cant assign gateways, it can, by going to Scope Options > Configure Options > 003 Router add the gateway IP there.

Faithless, I have two nics on my box (A7N8X Dlx 2.0). Is there an advantage to a router or no ? And, thank you for the tip on assigning the gateway, I read somewhere else, DHCP could not do that (MSTechnet :p ) Thanks for the reply.

There can be many advantages of a router,

Not dependent on the server being up for internet connection to be live.
Does NAT easily for you.
Just plug into your network and configure.
First line of defence against attacks, instead of your server, has firewall etc.
ADSL/Cable routers are very cheap.
Easier to setup port filtering and port forwarding compared to on Windows Box.

I am trying to take my MCSE by the end of this year, do you think this would be something they would test on , or just ask a few questions on ? I just dont want to use a router for ease of use, instead of learning how to handle the server and ultimately do better on my test and on a site.
BTW, have I said THANKS for all your continued help ? If not, Thanks so much!! Carlos

Im not sure how much of it would come up in the MSCE but it might be something to worth while learning. You might come accross it later on when you need it. By all means go ahead and give it a try.

I sincerely thank you for all your help and sincere resolve to help me. I am absolutely grateful and I hope there are more people like you and the others that helped me with this issue. Thank you very much, Carlos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back