Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP options limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannick

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2001
US
Hi,

I would like to know if within the DHCP protocol, it is possible to give some specific options for the configuration of the client. For example, I want to have a variable on my client filled with a value send to the DHCP server.

Thanks,

For example, I want to have a variable on my client filled with a value send to the DHCP server.

From your message it looks like you want the client to send info the the DHCP sever? A type maybe? You want the DHCP server to fill variables on the clients? If that's the case then what variables do you want? DHCP can fill in info the like DNS servers, WINS servers, domain suffix, node-type, etc.

What variables do you mean exactly? ________________________________________
Check out

Yeah, sorry I mean "...with a value send by the DHCP server".
I want indeed the DHCP server to fill variables on my clients, but I want some specific variables (non standard options). For example, the hostname of a VoIP gatekeeper or other options (boolen for enable a function on my client, and others strings).

Hmmm...I'm not so sure you can do that via DHCP. Where does this gateway need to be specifed? Routing table? Host file? These things would be better specifed via logon script that copies info from logon server to clients.
DHCP is limited to those options it has in its scope properties. If its not there, I don't think you can use it.
If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.
[smile] ________________________________________
Check out

Nope, you are correct. The only options you can pass to a client via DHCP/Bootp are options indicated in the scope environment varibles. And yes, better to pass these variables using login script....

Hope this helped.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back