Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP on WiFi PDA via Aironet 1222

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkamp

Technical User
May 21, 2004
US
I set up a Cisco 1231 Wireless Access point. Laptops get a DHCP address but PDA's do not.
This shows the DHCP is correct since the laptops can get DHCP, so the issue must be with the way the PDA's grab a DHCP. Does anyone know why a PDA might not grap an address?
Yes i did try several PDA's Samsung i730 and Dell axium 50 devices.

Hi, is your wireless network configured? Do you use WEP or 802.1x? Are you even able to attempt to connect to the Wireless network from the PDA's?

Darren Campbell
Technical Design Architect

The Access point has 4 VLAN's configured on it. 3 are WEP one is Open. The Dell and Samsung PDA's both complain that they cannot get an IP address on this one public VLAN. Laptop's get an IP with no problem.
Thanks for the assistance.....

So,

The PDA's cannot get an IP from the unprotected public wireless?

Is it set to a, b or g?

What are the PDA's capable of a,b or g?

Brett.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)

That is true the PDA's cannot get an IP address from the unprotected public wireless.
The Access point is configured to be b or g.
Both brands of PDA's are b only.

David

Have you tried "hard setting" the IP Address on the PDA's and seeing if you can gain access to the Open SSID?... This would then eliminate DHCP being an issue and point at a 802.11 negotiation issue.

Darren Campbell
Technical Design Architect

Whoo Hoo I found the solution....
The Data rates were configured for "Best throughput"
This is a bad thing for 802.11-B on some required OFDM data rates. Setting at default works.
Thanks for the Help!
David

Hello all,

Wonder if you can point me to right direction for this?

Want to build a wireless network with redhat linux using radius around 100 users.

Any thought is appriciated,
Tony

Hey,

shazzam69, please don't double post.

I have put a link in the thread you have started.

Thanks,

Brett

NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back