Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP on WAN side? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattm

Programmer
May 17, 2012
US
Working on a new install. Is there a way to get LAN 2 (WAN) to pull a DHCP address from the cable modem? the ISP doesn't do traditional static addressing. They require the device behind the modem to pull a DHCP address and they then assign the same IP address based on the MAC address of that device. So to them it's "static" but to us it's really not. It's reserved based on the MAC. I'm trying to avoid needing to install an device between..

Thanks

You shouldn't do it anyway, you need a router/firewall inbetween anyway, unless you like being hacked :)

nte-transmall.gif

Once it has pulled an address, you will see it in Manager, but greyed out. Now put the same address back in but set to Disabled, and the port will be static, the cable company will be happy because of the MAC address

It's been a rough day. We want to install the Portwell SBC but we have yet to do one to date. I need to find my guys training. We do have the IP routing locked down to only the SIP server. so it's secure for now. I know of 3 locations that are installed that way and haven't had any hacking issues in 3 years. My brain is just fried at the moment.. what a week so far..
I just didn't think of the Client mode for the LAN 2. Sorry all.

agreed hairless.. thank you for slapping me and waking me up. I feel much better today. ha ha

By thank I am guessing he was asking for a pink star. That is how you thank helpful posts on this site. I am going to give HSM one for his correct answer on this post since he did not get one.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Hairlessupportmonkey said:
roger that, over and out
this does not make sense, the phrase is an oxymoron (& a cause of great amusement to trained radio operators whenever it is heard :) )

Over means - over to you I am EXPECTING a reply
Out means don't reply i am disconnecting.

you cannot uses both in the same sentence.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

If DHCP is set to client, there is bonus feature that wipes the hunt groups on a reboot.
Don't use client.

Gunpoint 132 and Bush.Cover's code three

But what does happen is the gateway learned by DHCP is always used, every IP route manually entered will be ignored :)

nte-transmall.gif

It only happens on LAN1 if the IP changes while set to DHCP client. The groups are associated by IP address and when it changes they vanish. If you put LAN1 back to the original IP they come back. It is like magic!

I tested this a while back and posted about it. I think amriddle01 also posted about this before I did as well. Apparently it has been around a long time and will probably never be fixed because of Avaya's own red tape.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back