Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP on PDC and BDC???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepc

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I have a question about DHCP. Would it be a bad idea to have DHCP setup on my PDC and BDC, just incase the PDC goes down?

Actually it would be ideal to have the DHCP server on it's own. It is possible to install the service on a PDC or BDC. The downside of doing this is the BDC's are already bombarded with logon requests which could cause your Server to run slower if you add another serivce to it. (depends on how many users you have authenticating.) The other side is if your PDC goes down you are screwed. There really isn't a perfect way of creating redundency for your DHCP, but I've seen where people have a mirrored DHCP server on standby. Either way you look at it DHCP redundency is a pain. If you have 2 DHCP servers that's the best way to have it. Give them both seperate scopes so if one goes down people will still be able to obtain an address. -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

When you're having a bad day just remember it could be worse.....couldn't it?

Would it be bad if the PDC and BDC had DHCP running with the same scopes? Could one server hand out duplicate IP?

Absolutely it can cause a problem running two of the same scopes. There is no way that the DHCP server knows exactly what the other one is handing out hence causing duplicates. There is no way to replicate this information either. The only way is creating two separate scopes otherwise it's going to be a headache for your clients and an even bigger one for you. :) -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

When you're having a bad day just remember it could be worse.....couldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back