Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP on lan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent307

Technical User
Aug 14, 2005
US
Alright, heh... I am not exactly great at networking at all.. lol. I brought my computer to a friends house and could not connect to the internet. He is using mediacom cable internet. I hooked up the cable modem to a netgear hub and hooked up both of our computers. But his is the only one that is working. Another friend tells me that this means that the cable company is only identifying his MAC address... is there any way around this problem?
Thanks!

Yup, either pay your cable ISP for another IP address, or hook up a router directly to the cable modem, and both of you use private IP addresses.

Here's how you make this work....go buy a Netgear ROUTER, not a hub. Get one with at least 4 ports. Follow these instructions:
You can even use the hub attached to your new router to add more connections. (Just FYI, buy SWITCHES, not HUBS. Hubs loose 20-50% of their bandwidth due to collisions, where switches do not.)

Hope that helps,

CBF'87

------------
I may not always get it right, but at least I give it 110%
------------

Thanks very much guys! I'll try it out.

Awesome! Thanks a ton CowboysFan87. It worked out perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back