Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Not Issuing Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arugg

MIS
Sep 14, 2004
US
We have recently created a new DHCP server on a Windows 2003 AD server. We deactivated its predecessor, Windows 2000 server. It appears to be setup correctly and authenticated. But it is not giving out IP addresses. What could be the cause?

Did you set the clients to renew after a few hours? Perhaps no clients are requesting an IP address.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Our clients were still unable to renew. We were still not getting addresses when forcing a renewal.

I take it that you authorized the server.
DNS dynamic updates on, DNS servers are listed, scope is correct. DNS domain name is correct.
Does the server show in DNS and name servers?
If you release and renew clients, any errors.

Yes, DHCP is authorized, DNS is dynamic and listed, and scope is correct. And yes the server shows in the DNS correctly. When we release/renew the clients are getting DHCP unavailable error.

Have you done a ipconfig /all, to check DHCP and DNS.etc

Is the DHCP service actually running? and has the scope been activated? Did you check the Event logs regading the service?

Is the DHCP server on the same subnet/vlan as the workstations? If not you will have to change the relay information on your switches or routers.

John

We have checked the ensure that the DHCP service is running and the scope is activated. There are no errors in the event logs. We have even gone as far as connecting a PC directly to the server via a cross connect and are still not getting an IP address.

And in reference to Titlest reply, the server is in a different subnet and vlan than the workstations, but the mask is 24 bit and should be able to assign addresses to the workstations. Also with the cross connect test we have eliminated the switches. But that was a good idea.

If they're on a different subnet, then what is routing between the VLAN's?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

have you tried patching a client onto the same VLAN as the DHCP server? By default, client DHCP broadcasts won't traverse VLANs. This needs to be allowed/specified at the switch level.

If your switch gear is Cisco, this is done using "ip helper" addresses, plenty of info on this on google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back