Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP= No gateway after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teecee33

MIS
Jul 20, 2004
US
I have w2003 DHCP server. All of my clients are XP with a few 2000 machines. This only happens on a few machines. When they power their desktops on in the morning they get IP, subnet, and DNS but no gateway so they can access network stuff but no internet. If they do a release and renew they get the same info but their gateway shows up. It only happens to a few machines out of 700. Yes, 003 router is config on my dhcp server.

A few things I have tried is changing the gateway on the server, no luck. Also I reinstalled the winsock. On first boot after I do that it works but the second boot it doesnt.

Any ideas?

What type of network hardware are you using? Is it a managed switch?

I have had to tweak the Spanning Tree settings on our HP switches. There is a pause on the switch when a new connection is established that can interfere with DHCP assignments.

I had to change the Port Mode to 'Fast' to get around the issues we were having.

Hopefully this will help.

Tim

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

Ditto to what TimRoop said...have had same problem and his solution was the fix. Spanning Tree can make weird things happen...but your network guys won't admit it.

------------
I may not always get it right, but at least I give it 110%
------------

Teecee33:

Enable portfast for those ports having issues.

You can also try to set the Uplink to fast for those ports (which shortens the time to release a blocked port).

Tim

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how ti goes next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back