Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Newbe Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene1024

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
Hi,

I had a workgroup of about 6 Pcs that was getting their IP Address from the DHCP settings of a Linksys router and everything was working fine. I added a Windows 2000 server and made it a DC running DHCP. I created my scope of addresses like this:

Start = 192.168.1.15
End = 192.168.1.254
Server's IP Address is 192.168.1.10

My problems is that my clients can't join the domain unless I give them a static IP, whenever I try to join the domain using obtaining the IP automatically I get the error that the domain controller can not be contancted.

What am I doing wrong?

Rgds.

Rene

Is the linksys router still in place? Did you authorize the dhcp server? What kind of error messages are you getting? Just need some more info.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

Is the DNS setting your assigning the same as the one they get from DHCP? It sounds like when they get assigned an IP (from where ever) the DNS they're being assigned to doesn't have a record for the Domain.

So confirm that the linksys rounters DHCP is off. That the w2k DHCP is authorized and that the scopes DNS setting is pointing towards the 2k server.

Should clear it up.

I agree with Saugilsr that it seems like a DNS problem. If he problem hasn't been solved I suggest that you enter a static DNS adress (pointing to the server 192.168.1.10) in the tcp/ip properties for 1 client and try to join the domain. Also you could try with clearing the dns cache of the client with the command: ipconfig /flushdns and the ipconfig /registerdns to register a new dns entry.

Best Regards Anders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back