Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP - machines can acces network, not the net??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaustin

Programmer
May 24, 2004
GB
I have 3 XP Pro machines, and one has the cable modem.
It is configured to have static ip of 192.168.0.1

The others have also statics of 192.168.0.2 and so on

The internety failed to share amonsgt the other comps

Then I read that XP doesn't allow statics ip's for ICS, so i changed them to automatics.

Now, the machines have sp2 on, and wen u put automatic ip's on, it puts in a subnet mask which is different to the server.

Is there a way of having auto ip's in a range eg. 192.168.0.x

And, has anyone had this problem, and know if its like just a tick box i haven't checked

Any suggestions would be appreiciated

Tom :)

Very helpful thanks

Im quite new to networking, but I know you can use DHCP to assign ip's

Wat other types of networking are suitable for small scale networks??

Tom :)

I like hardware. I have a simple cable modem that goes to a wiresless router. All I need to do is plug in a wireless nic to a new machine, and it's up and running. Have everything from a server, to a laptop I use in the back yard. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

When ICS is enabled on a computer the IP address will change to 192.168.1.1. This is done by design. Any other computer that wants to access the Internet over ICS must use an IP address in the range of 192.168.1.x.

This is the limitation of ICS.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Sorry, my mistake. ICS uses an IP of 192.168.0.1.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

that makes sense

Now how would I set the ip of the client comps to have an ip range,

Also, I'll need to change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 to jst look at the lastnumber after the dot.

I know how to assign auto and manually, but where do you set an ip range??

Tom:)

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) loads a program called DHCP Allocator, which is a kind of a mini-DHCP server.

first it statically assigns an IP of 192.168.0.1 to the internal NIC of the ICS computer.

Then it supplies the following through DHCP:
IP addresses starting at 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Default gateway of 192.168.0.1

In practice, it acts as a proxy server.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

ye, i see it has done this, but the client computers can still not connect to the internet

They can see the conncection, just not view pages, msn messenger wont connect and so on??

Any suggestions??

Hi,
to BCASTNER, i owe a big debt of gratitude

Who would know that u have to do allt his?

Anyaway, thkanks

I will explain the problem and solution for people in the same situation:

You have xp machines(sp2, there lies the problem) a dsl/cable connection and some network cards. You want to use ics to share the connection
ICS only works when a host is set to 192.168.0.1, and the clients use dhcp to get ip's
Right, all gud so far, until you realise that sp2 assigns some crazy ip's so you can no longer connect to internet or network!
The solution is to use static ip's but ics doesn't work with static ip's so your told by microsoft

Look at this(ironically from microsoft)

This enables you to list all static ip's of clients so you can share the onnection about.

Hope this helps someone in my situation, cos it took a while to write out

Thanks you to everyone who has helped me

Tom:)

Hmm.Hi again.

I solved the problem woth ics and manually set ip's

But the internet on client machines is still working sometimes, and not others

Why is it that it seems to be unstable and tempromental??

tom:)

hmm..I checked out the hosts.ics files in

%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc

yet theres one line of text, wen I inputted the ip of the client machine before there was more stuff, wheres it all gone

Could some one open this file and post up the text in it please

I would appreciate it

Thanks
tom;)

A valid hosts file does not have an extentsion. Original hosts file is hosts.sam for sample. To make one work it should be re-named hosts. No extension. For ics, check out
hosts.ics

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

I understand about the no extension bit, it is jst just hosts(must have made a typo)

But when I looked in that file, *as in the instructions you posted up, (I have them, thanks tho)theres loads of stuff missing, just one line of text

Before there was more, then i put the cl;ient ip and name(eg. dan.mshome.net) at the end

Job was a gud en, until it broke

I cant figure it out

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back