Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Lease Expiration increments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazhbu

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
I have replaced 3 domain controllers running Windows 2000(Compaq DL380s) with new Dell Poweredge 2850s, running Windows 2003, and promoted them to domain controllers. They have identical settings to the Compaqs (i.e. name, IP Adresses, etc.)Here's where I have a problem. Some PC, all running XP, seem to get an IP from DHCP. I can see their lease in DHCP, but they still state an IP of 0.0.0.0, and report limited or no connectivity. If I watch the DHCP scope and see them acquire an IP I can then start refreshing the screen and the lease expiration increments by one second, each second. It's like it is renewing every second. I have noticed that, almost without exception, the NICs in the PCs are Intel Pro 100 ve. The NICs in the server are Intel Pro 1000 MT. This is basically only happening with the Intel NICs. I have tried upgrading the drivers on both the server and the PCs with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

I hope someone has an idea. Dell and I are pretty much at a loss. I do have some new info. I disabled the onboard Intel NICs on the server and install a 3Com 3c905B. Everything worked perfectly. Then Dell sent a Broadcom NIC and a PCI Intel NIC. When each of these are installed the trouble returns. Disable them and enable the 3Com and all is well.

Please, if anyone has an idea, please share. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Isn't the 905B a 10/100 card? Try setting the Dell card to 10/100 rather than auto to see what happens. In other words slow down the connections.

Regards,
David

Yes, you are right. It is a 10/100 card. I tried setting the Intel NIC to 100 Full and set the port on the switch to 100 full. No joy. I've also used three different version of the Intel drivers.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back