Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP issues with RDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabz420

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2003
CA
Is there a problem with installing RDM on a 2K3 server(is the management server) and have DHCP on a Win NT server?

no. Our dev setup was like this.

Our live setup runs 2003 server, and the director/rdm and dhcp installs are on the same box.

are you actually having a problem? Or are you just playing 'what if'?

Rob

We ARE having problems. When DHCP on the NT box and Director/RDM on our 2k3 box, RDM will use it's own DHCP and assign new addresses to workstations. This is a problem since we use static IP's. What results are IP conflicts on our network. I've setup the RDM twice now with the same results. It seems to me that RDM will only use an external DHCP if it's on the same box. IE: If our 2k3 was our DHCP, then we wouldn't have a problem but since it's on our NT box, RDM doesn't seem to want to use it.

The DHCP server needs to be on the same subnet as the RDM server, but doesn't have to be on the same server as RDM. In fact, from testing we have been doing today, it performs a lot better if the 2 functions are kept apart.

Assuming your client systems are all in the same subnet as the DHCP and RDM servers, all should run fine.

If there are clients in another subnet, and they can get a DHCP allocated address already, then you must have dhcp/bootp forwarding active on your routers. In our case, Cisco routers, using the 'ip-helper' command to define the IP address of the DHCP server.

To get RDM working for those clients, you have to also use 'ip-helper' or equivalent, to define the IP address of the RDM server.

i.e. you have 2 helper addresses - 1 for DHCP, the other for RDM.

PS - if you are keeping DHCP and RDM apart, make sure the DHCP scopes do not have option 60 configured. You only need that if DHCP and RDM are on the same box.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back