Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp(ics) - not accesible, u might not have permission for this networ

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaustin

Programmer
May 24, 2004
GB
I have an xp machine with a static ip of 192.168.0.1

Then xp machine set to automatic ip's, they are then assigned ips by the dhcp service running on the first machine.

The desired drives are shared on each computer

My problem is that I cannot get on a comp from another comp.

Eg/ If I click view workgroup, it shows up the others comps

But If I click them I get:

\\server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. Go find ur network administrator.

Any suuestions?

You probably need to enable the Guest account on each of your systems. This probably isn't a networking problem, but a permissions problem.

You could also create an identically named account on both systems and give that account the same password on both places. Then if you log onto one of the systems with that account, you will probably be able to access the shares on the other system without being prompted for username and password. I think this would be an alternative to using the Guest account.

ShackDaddy

hmm..thats not solving the problem.

Here are the settings

server:
ip: 192.168.0.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0

tom:
ip: auto (dhcp)

cheers for any suggestions

:)

Can you ping the server from the workstation? If not, can you ping 192.168.0.1?

What happens when you type "net view \\server" from the command line?

What happens when you type "net view \\server'sipaddress" from the command line?

Type "net use q: \\server\sharename" from the commandline on the client. Do you get an error 53 or an error 51?

Do you have the WINS service running on the server? It's not critically necessary, but it can ease name resolution issues.

Shackdaddy

net view \\server = access is denied, system 5 error
net view \\192.168.0.1 = access is denied, system 5 error
net use q: \\server\c: = 53 error
there is no wins, all wins stuff is set to default

Does this stuff help??

:)

Did you create user accounts on both systems? If you have, for example, a user account on SystemA called "Calico" with the password "hogtied9", and you have a share on SystemA called "MP3", you could sit down at SystemB and type the following to connect:

net use M: \\systema\mp3 /USER:calico hogtied9 /PERSISTENT:yes

This would provide the credentials you would need to connect and your new M: drive would allow you access to the MP3 share.

Hope this helps,

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back