Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaseburn

MIS
Jan 17, 2006
US
I'm looking for a solution to the following problem, and would appreciate any help somebody might be able to offer me...

We're currently using the Avaya 406 with 5602s, and, at the office, it works fine. We have the 406 doing DHCP for all of our IP phones, and it works. When trying to deploy these phones remotely, and using DHCP over VPN between 2 sonicwall devices, the phones will not pull an IP from the DHCP server. It seems that the Avaya DHCP server will not serve leases via a relay - I can see the relay IP requesting DHCP leases via ethereal. Also, when I change the DHCP server address on the sonicwalls, the phones do get IPs - just from the other DHCP server, on the other network - so I know the configuration is working. Is there a way to tell the Avaya DHCP server to stop doing that, and to honor any request? If not, then, is there a DHCP server that you'd recommend to replace the Avaya internal one? Requirements dictate that it allows for adding option 176 to the DHCP server, for use with IP phones, which a lot of the freeware ones do not. Windows XP is what our voicemail server runs, and I have a linux server on the network. I'd be happy with anything that will run on either.

Thanks!

When you say they pull an address when changing the SonicWalls, where is that DHCP server they are getting an address from? Also, what type of DHCP server is that?

*sigh* lack of HTML support on boards is a necessary evil, yet still drives me crazy :-(

I am trying to clarify by what you meant here:

Also, when I change the DHCP server address on the sonicwalls, the phones do get IPs - just from the other DHCP server, on the other network.

Is this the IP Office built in?

We only have 1 DHCP server, the IP Office itself. The phones are all behind the sonicwall 3060.

When I connect a TZ 150 to the internet, and VPN into the 3060, and set it up for DHCP over VPN (devices behind the TZ 150 should be getting DHCP relayed across the VPN to the network behind the 3060 containing the phones), the DHCP server (the IP Office built in) will not reply.

Is there any reason why you can't give the 406 a fixed ip with DHCP deactivated yet set sonicwalls to fixed ip with DHCP activated to provide local ip addresses to devices at both ends but set each sonicwall to alocate a different range of addresses but on the same subnet.i.e. sonicwall 1= 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.40 sonicwall 2 =192.168.42.50-192.168.42.80 or something like that. Also, have you created an ip route on the 406 to accept traffic from the remote site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back