Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP From Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhurst925

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
US
I have a DLINK wireless AP setup in one of my remote offices to allow guests to connect to the internet. The problem is that it seems to be assigned the same IP Address to the multiple computers thereby creating a "limited or no connectivity" issue. I know it is duplicate IP address because when i manually assign an IP within the range it works fine. I have the unit connected to a DLINK router. the router is connected to a CISCO swith to handle our VOIP phones. My guess is that the lease time is set to be too long. Or that the router and the WAP are both acting as DHCP servers and they are conflicting on occaision.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you
Matt

If this really is a wap and not a router turn off dhcp on the wap and let your dlink handle the dhcp. When you get a conflict and type in ipconfig /all what is the dhcp server adress is it the WAP. I thought that most WAP since they are just access points not router do not include dhcpd server. I have however had problems with cheaper older dlink routers needing to be turned off and on whenever a new device is connected and needs an IP. IF this is the case a firmware upgrade should fix it but look at your dhcpd server and see if it's coming from two different machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back