Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frl

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
US
I installed W2K Server in our branch office and joined it to our main W2K Domain. Before they had a workgroup and no server, just router configured as DHCP server.
So I joined clients a domain and disabled DHCP on the router. Then I installed DHCP server on W2K server. It worked fine for most of the clients but for some I got the error (Event 1006) that it cannot get address from DHCP.
Even if tried and set the IP manually it didnt work properly. I even unistalled the DHCP on the server but the issues remained. So my questions are:
- Where is this information about address (MAC and IP) stored. Where on the server,clients?
- How can I erase this information? So I can install DHCP on the server again and start from scratch.

Thanks in advance!!!

After reading some posts here I have found out the WinsockFix tool. But it still doesnt help in our case. We have still 4 clients unable to use DHCP and always getting 169.x.x.x address and Event 1006 error.
Is there something else we can do?

Have you checked to make sure the nics are good? I've seen this happen before. See if the machines are sending or recieving bad packets. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
[red]Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store for Christmas![/red]
TTinChicago

Were these machine working before? I've ran into situations where spyware can prevent the NIC from grabbing an address. I've also had to reinstall the NIC and that fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back