Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP/DNS Issue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrider

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2003
US
I am running a W2K Domain with Active Directory.

The DNS server is of course my w2K server. We cannot access our website if the DNS number comes from the server. So i have to statically assign my ISP's DNS address. Will this cause issues in Active Directory's Services?

Thank you all in advance. [noevil]

Set your client to point at your local DNS then within your DNS server setup forwarders to your ISP DNS it should all work.

This is how i have it set up now. But for some strange reason i cannot get to our web site; which is hosted by the same isp.

From the domain controllers can you ping your ISPs dns servers? If you can, and have the forwarding setup, you should be fine.

I can ping my isp. And i believe my forwarders are setup correctly. I can get to every web site on the internet except our own. AHHHH! It's kinda driving me crazy. I've spoken with my ISP and they're saying the same thing. The only way i can see my own site is if i statically assign my ISP's DNS number to each workstation, but i don't want that.

Thank you all...[surprise]

You shouldn't have to do that, let's keep plugging away.

Starting at step 1, open the dns console and right click your dns server, click properties and then click forwarders. What IPs do you have listed there?

Also from your domain controller can you do a nslookup for an outside site like

To mawilson:

Do you mean creat a new zone? If so is it a primary or secondary or Active Directory Integrated?

In your forward lookup zone, right click your domain. Choose New Host (A)... In the name type enter the ip address of your website at your isp.
Hope that helps.
Mark

to answer micronmega: The forwarders i have listed are those of the DNS servers of my ISP. And i can do an nslookup for an outside site.

Thank you mawilson, it worked out great!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back