Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Discovery Fails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zen64

Technical User
Jun 29, 2012
GB
Started a new thread for others with this issue, as previous threads closed. Please post if you have had this issue, would be good to find out how wide-spread.

Mitel 53xx handsets fail to boot and are stuck on DHCP Discovery.

Downgrading the ethernet port on the phone to AutoNeg=Off and PortSpeed=10Mb 'fixes' the problem.

This is not ideal as a PC connected via the phone will have major performance issues. But it saves the cost of powerbricks for the other work-around that people have found.

what version of software?

Downgrading the phone itself or the layer 2 port it is connected to? Basically all you are doing is locking the port to 10M. Seems strange that would be a problem for DHCP. Ever tried plugging one of the non working sets directly into the 3300?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Cisco switches? If so the dhcp options are incorrect, had a few happen

What version of software ? what controller ? what DHCP sever ? to many unknows

If its not broke tweak it..

Are you sure its not the issue with the way Mitel deal with the tagging on the DHCP server..i.e. you have just upgraded the software and now the phones won't boot? There is a knowledge base article on MOL and a thread on here about that.

this is what im trying to get at he asked a question with no information apart from the phone type..

I also suspect its the MCD 5.0 Vlan ID issue

If its not broke tweak it..

Thanks for all responces, but you are missunderstanding the post. This was not a question, but an informational post.

There is a physical issue with the 100Mb circuit(?) on the ethernet port of the phone.

We deployed the 5340's when they first came out (about 600 of them). Granted they are approx 5 years old now, but over that time we have had nearly 100 handsets develop the same fault.

I know of another London firm with the same fault, and have just sent 40 back to Mitel. At a fix cost of about £100 per set!

No, this is not a DHCP scope/VLAN issue. We are using a Windows 2003 DHCP server. But I have also tried plugging directly into the controller with DHCP enabled. I have tried this in an LX running v9, and an MXe running 4.1. Our maintenance partner has also tried on one of their test controllers.

Posted because it took me several weeks to find this work around. And I also wanted to see how prevalent this issue is.

This forum has several threads regarding it. The work around on those threads was to plug a power brick into the 'network' port of the phone, and the 'data' cable in the PC port. (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back