Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP controlling internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameover

Programmer
Dec 2, 2001
US
I would like to set up DHCP using the ISC distribution on Linux. We have two basic pools of addresses on the same physical network: 192.168.0.x/16 and 192.168.1.x/16

192.168.1.x have internet and the 192.168.0.x/16 do not, as defined in our router.

Is there any way we could control who gets internet access addresses besides using MAC address authentication?

I saw an entry in a How-To about "client-defined users" but it didn't give much discription.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In this situation you have to provide the clients an DHCP lease using it's MAC address. There's no distinct method to know which computer is in the 192.168.0.x/16 subnet or in the 192.168.1.x/16 subnet.

I know Microsoft's DHPC server is capable of doing this. The biggest disadvantage of this method is the administrative overhead. You have to enter and map ALL of the current MAC addresses currently in use on your network.

Another solution would be to insert another network card in the Linux server and use the two different subnets on these cards.

good luck.

Just when you think you understand IP address classes someone presents a situation such as this. I understand classless addressing but thought that it was limited to routing and summarization. Since when can you have two class C subnets on the SAME physical network? My router would start complaining about this.

Dave

Thanks for the help all.

Not to worry gtrtrooper, the network is a class B, 16 bit.
Only one network.

Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back