Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chupaco

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2002
BR
Hi, guys!
I have a network 10.0.0.0/24, but will change to /16, because increased number of users. I'm trying to configure my dhcp server to divide this way:
- 10.0.0.0 network: my servers
- 10.0.1.0 : network printers
- 10.0.2.0 : remote access clients
- 10.0.3.0 : routers
- 10.0.10.0: clients on the first floor
- 10.0.20.0: clients on the second floor
- 10.0.30.0: clients on the third floor
Anyone knows how can I configure my dhcp server, or have other tip??
Tnxs a lot!

Chupaco

The answer is: multinet environment (supernet) , and you should use superscopes.
I could paste to you links about this subjects, but go to google and search about superscope and DHCP. There is a lot of information about this. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Gia Betiu, Tnxs a lot!
All I need to know is the search keys to look for extra information (using google, sure).
Tnxs!!

Chupaco

Actually superscopes aren't going to help you with what your trying to do. Superscopes are used when you run out of IP addresses on a subnet. Rather than changing to a different IP scheme you can create a new subnet and merge them into a single Superscope.

Are your floors going to be connected through routers? If not dhcp will not be able to tell where a client is located and therefore you won't be able to use different scopes.

I would also advise against using DHCP for your routers and servers. To many things can go wrong. If a client is down because of a dhcp issue it affects 1 person if a server is down because of DHCP it could affect the whole company.

As far as printers go, they do need a static IP but you CAN use reservations in DHCP to do this.

Just post back if you have any questions.

CoolClark, you are right.. I'll use dhcp server just for my clients, but will divide my network into subnets, using "B" class network mask. My routers, printers, and servers will keep fixed IP. For example, if I want to connect other router in my network, I'll put in 10.0.3.0 network. For printers, 10.0.1.0. It will be easier to manage, because I know what layer tcp need to search to find THAT router, THAT printer... For the clients, all of them is in the same network, before the router, and a superscope will not work like I need. Divide the floors using tcp layer, will be helpfully and easier, but I'm not right if it's possible.
I think I'll create fixed scopes (for servers, routers and printers) using mask /16 and other layer (10.0.10.x, for example) to my clients, independent which floor they are connected.

Any other idea?? :)
Tnxs in advanced!

One trick would be to use the floor number in the naming convention of the clients. That way you could "ping -a" the client to determine what floor it's on.

Yes!
It will helps a lot, and I will use this way!!
Anything that can make things easier are welcome!!

Tnxs!!
Chupaco

How many clients do you have? Is this a fully switched network? There are many variables to consider when changing an addressing scheme

If you have a network large enough for you to have to have that many subnets and you don't know how to setup DHCP you really should look at getting another Network admin or consider outsourcing task like this (If you can find a reliable source.

This isn't a flame, you will find you will have less problems and better uptime if you have a professional handle task you don't know how to do. subnetting is a very basic concept of ip networking and you should not just have the trial and error approach. You really need to know how ip routing works before you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back