Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP config

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMichel

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
BE
On a server with 2 network cards, How do I configure computer to be DHCP server on one network and client on the other ?

Thanks for your help !

I would say Dual boot it and have one NIC for the server side and the other NIC configured for the client. But that really doesn't seem stable to me and I don't think I would recommend it in a production environment...

On the TCP/IP properties. Set the DHCP server with a static addr (NIC1) and on NIC2 allow DHCP??? Or is that too simple?

Why are you wanting to do this...???? U wont be able to Dual Boot as the DHCP Server will need to be constantly active.....U can install the server with 2 independent Network Cards, is it specific client software u need to install.....????

It seems a little bit confusing.
I need to have two networks card working at the same time. I don't want to use Dual Boot.

Of course, I've tried to set the DHCP server with a static addr (NIC1) and on NIC2 allow DHCP.
But I can't configure NIC2 as DHCP client. Option is not available.

I've never tried this...!!!....but what happens if you configure your "client" card first....???? Can you disable the server card and then install the second card with the relevant DHCP info, then restart the server card....????

Highland,

I've tried it right now. When you install DHCP server a new configuration is asked for the card that was DHCP client (you have to specify static address).

Thanks for your help

Must be something built into NT..??? The O/S must be assuming that since you have more than one Network card that you will be wanting to do some form of routing, in which case static IP would be expected on the cards...???

May I ask what are you trying to accomplish and why? ... for my education. I've never heard of someone tryn to do this.

This server is used to deploy master on new PC's.
I need one network card for connection to the company network. So for this network I must be DHCP client.
The second card is connected to our lab network (100Mbs network) and is used only for deployment. In this network I need a DHCP server. I know that I could use an other server for DHCP but using a server only for DHCP is for me a waste of money.

This is quite simple, IT CANT BE DONE. NT is not designed to do this and the hardware willnot support it. Just build two servers, they dont have to be big servers, re-use a pc.

Dan

My advice might be a bit off, not sure i only work on 2k advanced server boxes myself. But my suggestion would be to take the 2nd NIC(The one you want to be the client), Route the network request through another box maybe through direct connection. Like The 2nd NIC is Directly connected to a 2nd PC, and the 2nd PC's NIC is connecting to the network for the dynamic IP. Its messy but it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back