Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp client problem with windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkou

Technical User
Feb 12, 2004
BE
Hello,

I have browsed the forums but couldn't find an answer to this problem :

I am connecting a windows XP to the net through cable access.
I tried to connect an old win95 computer, it worked but the XP computer could not connect after that for a day. Then it connected fine.
Then I changed network properties (removed netbios) and it couldn't connect back. The day after, it worked.
ifconfig /release etc. couldn't do anything.

I know it's a matter of lease time but I can't figure out how to connect the win95 computer and the the XP one back without waiting a day.

Thank you.

My guess is that the issue is MAC authentication used by the cable network.

A router would be the easiest solution; most routers offer the feature to "clone" a MAC address so that to the cable system there will always be presented the same MAC adress, avoiding authentication issues.

I work for a cable internet services. You must UNPLUG the modem from the electricity (that clears the table) when connecting a new device to the modem. The MAC address registers with the DHCP IP address in the company's routing table. The modem must come online first and then turn on the new device. The new NIC device requests an IP and the process begins again. You could get a router and assign the WAN side to DHCP to handle the leased IP address. The router LAN side would have 254 available internal IP's. Then you could leave your equip on DHCP or statically define it with one of the router's LAN IP's.....usually in the 192.168.x.x or 172. x.x.x range with the router's LAN as the default gateway..with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

starspring is correct. This is how I have my wireless network. I have a cable modem attached to my router, which is attached to my W2K pro, server and wireless ap. You install the router software on the client, clone the ip address as he said, so when you connect to the internet, the router contacts using the same mac address all the time which shows you are a valid user. This system works great. I'm downstairs using my wireless laptop and the rest of my network is all up in my closet. Good luck. Oh, and starspring, here's a star.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thank you for the answers.

I don't think it's a MAC authentication problem as the SAME computer couldn't connect for 12 hours. Still searching but I am not trying too much as getting disconnected for 12 hours is not funny.

That sounds exactly like a MAC authentication issue.
This is not a true DHCP "lease" issue.

A router with the ability to "clone" a MAC address would make your life a lot easier.

Around $20 US from the ads in last weekends papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back