Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP CLIENT not started on Windows 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunopt

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
PT
Hello everyone

I´m starting a new windows 2003 to promote it to a dc in my domain, everything went well until i have restarted it.
Now my server is a dc, but when i put in a command line "ipconfig /registerdns" it gives me the error "Registration of DNS records failed: The RPC server is unavailable."

In my event viewer i have an error "The DHCP Client service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied."

EventID 7023
Source: Service Control Manager

I cant find any information about the error and cannot start the DHCP Client on the server.

Any help will be very Helpfull

Thanks to all

Bruno

Are you handing out a DHCP address to your Windows 2003 server? DHCP Client service receives IP from a DHCP server...you do not want to use DHCP to get an IP address on a Domain Controller. I would disable the DHCP Client service and manually assign an IP address to the server.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thank you for answering my post.

I have a fixed ip in my domain controller, and when i try to use "ipconfig /registerdns" it gives me that error even if i disable the system.

I have found an article

but i can´t make the resolution, the error is this on the article, but on the step that talks abou an account "network service" i can´t find it.

Thanks

sorry...wrong string...ignore my last post

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Is this the first domain controller in your domain?

Do you have DNS running in your environment?

1) All clients and server must be pointing ONLY to internal Windows 200x DNS servers. This means that all clients TCP/IP properties should be pointing to internal IP address. You should not point to ISP DNS server from your TCP/IP properties.

2) To get internet resolution, use your internal DNS server to forward requests on behalf of your clients to the Internet. Go into the DNS console, right click your server name and choose properties. Click the FORWARDERS tab and enter the ISP DNS server IP addresses here.

I would check to make sure DNS is running properly in your environment. NSLOOKUP is a good command line tool to check DNS.

-late

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

Aswering to your reply.

I have all my servers pointing to my internal dns servers, i have a mixed environment 2000 / 2003
My dns servers have forwarders and are resolving names and ip´s.

Thanks for your help

I have disables DHCP client but i cant make an ipconfig /registerdns

Do you know any account and where can i find it like this one

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

#1, Does your "primary" DC allow user to dynamiclly register DNS name?
#2, What is your default DNS server on your windows 2003 DC?

Just trying to give some hints.

#1 Yes it does
#2 It points to the other 2 dc´s that i have in my domain

Thanks

This is a problem I see a lot with DHCP and 2003 Server...if you're running AD (and you are) did you properly authorize your scope? And did you configure any DHCP options for it to deal with RPC?

I have authorized the DHCP Server, but i have not created any options in the dhcp yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back