Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP cannot pass through gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

nTT911

Instructor
Jan 30, 2005
SE
no gateway through dhcp

Has anyone ever seen a situation where random DHCP IP addresses assigned to workstations on a LAN connect fine with other PCs on the LAN but cannot get to anything on the outside?

This is my case. The funny thing is when i repair the connection i am able to surf, ping etc. for a short period of time (like 20 seconds).

If i set a static ip, fill in the right dns and gateway it works!

This has lead me to think that its my dhcp server who is busting my balls, i use the standard one that comes with Windows Server 2003. I tried removing the scope and adding it but no luck...

It seems like its able to remember all the other details but after 20 seconds just smokes the gateway...

I think you have checked it but, just in case.

connect fine with other PCs on the LAN but cannot get to anything on the outside?

The problem could be related with an incorrec subnet mask being assigned to the host of the network via the DHCP or an incorrect subnet mask at the Router.

Seems to have been the DHCP-server who went nuts... uninstalled it, reboot, installed it again, and it didnt work... wait 3 days; kaboom it works just fine... wierd... Not a very good way to solve the problem but what could one do? :D thnx for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back