Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP boot over T1 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxphoneman

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
I need a few IP's mostly for laptops on the other end of my p2p T1. Is it just a matter of allowing DHCP/BOOTP fowarding to be allowed on the wan link to solve my problem..it works fine on the LAN side.

thanks !!!

If, and I say if, you are using Cisco routers on both ends you need to set up Bootp forwarding. On the router that is where the laptops is located add "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the IP of your DHCP server.

What version of Cisco IOS are you using, if in fact Cisco...
If an older version (<12) you'll also in addition to the IP Helper address another global statement:

ip forward-protocol udp

This will enable the router to forward udp broadcasts to these servers....

Chris.

both routers are Intel 8220 & 8210...there is no support for these things..i wish I could they were Cisco.

Here is the link to the WAN Users Guide. Page 160 mentions an option for BOOTP/DHCP Forwarding. That should do it for you.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/express/routers/wan_ug.pdf

Good luck.

Scott [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back