Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP binding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2001
US
Well this past weekend I took the jump and upgraded my domain controller to Windows Server 2003. No major problems...except for one with DHCP. For some reason the DHCP service no longer wants to bind to any network cards in the machine. Initally it wouldn't bind to the built in network card. Then another network card was installed and it bound to it no problem...clients started recieving IP's. But after a restart a couple of days later...DHCP no longer wants to bind to that one either. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DHCP service. I have tried upgrading the network card drivers. I have AppleTalk installed on this machine and thought that might be causing a problem so that was stopped but with no success. The machine is a dell poweredge server with a broadcom gigabit ethernet adapter and an intel 8255x adapter. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone offer any suggestions. I'm at the point where I might just give up and turn one of my other servers into the dhcp server.

Hi!

First of all this just has to be the greatest techs forum on the net.

Yes I have the exact same problem, and have done pretty much the same things as you, I even tried to Reg hack a little with no luck,
I phoned Dell Support about this and as I supected it was´nt a hardware problem, more an OS problem, so they wanted me to get in touch with MS but they cost U know.

And, i´m really not happy about paying for support on software that I´ve allready payed a damn lot for, it´s pretty much like Buyin a new car without any waranties, and 2 days later it breakes down and they want ME to pay for their mistakes...
But as it seems now i ´ll have no other choice than to do so. I´m not as fortunate as you to be able to set another server as an DHCP in the net,it´s not our servers, but a customer of ours, this net is divided into 2 separate segments with a router betwen them and there is a Dell Poweredge 2600 server on each end of it, with its own DHCP service active on it... and one more thing that was different from your config, this was not an OS upgrade, ok I kept the AD but the OS was cleanly installed on one server at a time.

Yiiiehaaa!

I finally found it, it still was a Dell problem, I found out after using the little nifty program called "Active Ports" that port 67 was in use by an Dell openmanage Application "oma32something.exe", I uninstalled Openmanage and now it works, I cuould probably change some parameters in Openmanage so that it won´t use that particular port, but i really don´t feel likte it right now, I´ll wait for a newer version of it, but an report to Dell is a must, I hope you´ll do the same thing... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back