Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS-R backup issue, not backing up files

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaupaas

Technical User
May 23, 2002
NO
At a customer site i have implemented Networker 7.4.3 and every thing worked OK until DFS-R was implemented on a Windows 2008 client. The customer set up one of the drives as a replicating target for Home and project data. The backup of the drive in question is OK, but missing the files in the replicated folders. I have tried to backup the folders using save command, scheduled backup and using the NW user, but no luck there. The client configuration is set up with save set: All . I even tried with the complete path to the folder as a save set, still no backup of the replicated folders.....If i copy one of the replicated folders to root of the drive, all of the files in the copied folder is beeing backed up, and i am able to use the NW user to recover the files. I have seen a similar issue on Windows 2003, but then it was related to VSS. We added VSS:*=off in the save operations and then i was OK. I am aware of the fact that VSS need to be used when backing up a 2008 client, but i am not sure how it really works, and not sure if it is related to this issue.

I would really appreciate any tips, before loosing my mind :)

If you want networker to "cross" a mount point and a dfs junction is such a mount point you have to specify the mount point as the saveset.
Example : th eremote servers filesystem is mounted in d:\dfs\rserver your sdaveset is d:\dfs\rserver.
Now the content of the remote filesystem will be saved.

Hi and thank you for the response.
I am very sorry, but i do not understansd your response, it might be my of trying to explain the actual problem. I think that we can disregard the DFS mount point, as this area only is used as a target for the replication service, the area is not advertised through DFS as a mount point. Keep in mind that i am not very experienced in the use of DFS and DFS-R.

The disk i am trying to back up is only the replication target.......

I even did try to specify the saveset as you explain (P:\Home)

It is not a remote filesystem, is is the local drive, and the files is stored within that drive.

try save -v P:\home
on your client.
Does it work ?
Post the output.

Hi
I did try save P:\Home, but without -v......like the files is`t there.....successfull backup of the directories, but no files.
But i finally solved it :) At least i am able to backup an restore files from the ara now.

I set up a test enviroment in VmWare, domain controller, backup server and 2 windows 2008 clients with domain based replication service.
I managed to reproduce the customer enviroment (with missing file backup) after hours of testing different networker versions, configurations, commandline etc. and a lot of coffee, i entered the full UNC path in save set, and it works!(\\DFS-1\c$\Replication)
I am not sure that this functionality is supported, and i cannot find it documented anywhere in the admin guide...maybe i missed somthing?

Well it finally works, and I am happy with that.
I have reccomended the customere to register a call with EMC support, so they at least have a record of this, and hopefylly EMC will give the configuration it`s "Blessing"

I still have the tesenviroment up and running, will test the save -v command to see if it gives any outpot that makes sense. and add the output to this thread.

Thank you for replying to my questions :)

Output from Save -v
Hmmm......
There are no directive to skip, no file (nrs.dir) and no central directive on the backup server.....is this a new feature? Maybe we now need to by a license for the Module for Microsoft Applications?? in order to use save set "All", never tested the module, but i would if i had a license or an enabler for this.......it does not work on test license.
The save command does not work, at least not for saving replicated files using File Replication Service in Windows 2008, unless i add the complete UNC to the folder.

Feature or bug? Or just me beeing outdated on the development of Networker backups?

The interesting part:
32240:save: found protofile spec for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\:
+ skip : *

-2:save: save: got prototype for C:\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\DfsrPrivate\
-2:save: save: got prototype for C:\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\DfsrPrivate\Staging\
-2:save: save: got prototype for C:\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\DfsrPrivate\ConflictAndDeleted\
-2:save: save: got prototype for C:\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\
chdir(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION)
Name=`\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION', name=`\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCop
y13\REPLICATION', fname=`.\'
32240:save: found protofile spec for /:
mntasm : A:
32240:save: found protofile spec for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\:
skip : config.sys
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION, .\)
chdir(\) [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13
\REPLICATION\]
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1, DFS-1)
chdir(DFS-1\) [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeS
hadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\]
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E, E)
chdir(E\) [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeSha
dowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\]
32240:save: found protofile spec for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\:
+ skip : *
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\$RECYCLE.BIN, $RECYCLE.BIN)
32246:save: matched internal `skip' on `$RECYCLE.BIN' for `\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\
DFS-1\E\$RECYCLE.BIN'
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\Common, Common)
32246:save: matched internal `skip' on `Common' for `\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\
E\Common'
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\DfsrPrivate, DfsrPrivate)
32246:save: matched internal `skip' on `DfsrPrivate' for `\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\D
FS-1\E\DfsrPrivate'
walk(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\EmailXtender, EmailXtender)
32246:save: matched internal `skip' on `EmailXtender' for `\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy13\REPLICATION\
DFS-1\E\EmailXtender'
asm -s C:\REPLICATION\DFS-1\E\
asm -s C:\REPLICATION\DFS-1\
asm -s C:\REPLICATION\
6679:save: Connecting directories...
asm -s C:\
asm -s /

save: C:\REPLICATION 3 KB 00:00:03 5 files
7167:save: save completion time: 24.05.2009 21:45:15

C:\REPLICATION>

Status
Not open for further replies.