Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

df -k results different from snmpdf 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
DE
Hello Sun-gurus,

this question should perhaps belong into another forum, but as I have the problems only with solaris (V 8), I try to post it here.

As I need to monitor Disk-space , Cpu activity and other things that the sun agent can't provide, I disabled Suns snmpdx agent and installed the net-snmpd agent.
The agent is responding to snmp-requests, but when I request diskspace via snmpdf (which is the snmp - equivalent to df -k) , I have different results than df -k -it differs baout by 3%. The only thing that shows the same result is the total disk-space available.
Doing a snmpwalk and checking for dsk.Avail, dsk.Used and dsk.Percent Values showed the same differences with respect to df -k.

I´ve tried all sort of things to find the problem, but I'm getting nowhere now.

Perhaps someone out there has already implementet net-snmp without any problems. As I run out of ideas to solve the problem, any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Fred

(Excuse my poor English, please)

Fred,

(in English, so everybody can read this... :) )

this might be a bug in snmpdf or a bug in df; please check 'du -sk' output vs. 'df -k' output. Do they report the same results?

What is snmpdf, an executable or a shellscript? (debugging!?)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi Franz,

it was a good idea to try both, df -k and du -sdk (I added "d" as well)

The results:

du -sdk / ---> 75803

df -k / ---> 75813
----
du -sdk /tmp --> 336
du -sdk /tmp --> 376

But no difference with the following:

du -sdk /usr --> 728738

df -k /usr --> 728738

Just for the sake of info: / = c0t0d0s0 ; /usr = c0t0s6

(perhaps some patches needed ?)

snmpdf is a binary. Until now I've used it only on Linux systems, no errors there. This utility is provided in the snmp-package by net-snmp, the successor of ucd-snmp.

Another thing, -- just in case your time allows it -- ( because I have no one knowledgeable around )...
In the process of preparing the system for network-monitoring, I had to add openssl too.I noticed during the config-and compilation phase, that there were warnings about the random-number generator. But openssl seems to be ok, because SSH (which was installed after that) works well, and it needs the openssl - libraries.
After that I compiled a program that needed openssl too (an agent progr. for the monitoring-plugins). This time, configure stopped with an error, complaining that there is no /dev/random. By checking the open-ssl FAQ's I found, that this problem was known for solaris 8, and the patch 112438-03 was recommended.
I've installed the patch with "patchadd 112438-03" with no problems.
But after reboot I still didn't find a "/dev/random". By trying to reinstall the package I got the Information, that one or more packages contained in 112438 are not installed and patchadd terminated. After checking that with patchadd -p I saw only 3 of 6 packages under 112..., SUMW... etc.
But these packages are all there in the unzipped patch-directory.

I was not aware I would face such problems and if I would, I would have startet with the sun - box first.

Any ideas where I made mistakes?

Regards,

Fred

bigcheeks

Fred,

I'm not sure, whether the ssl problems are in coherence with the snmp problems; if snmp package compiles and runs everything is fine...
I am running nagios as system monitoring; it comes along with an Oracle plugin, the script resultet some strange messages, so I debugged it and fout out that the result of a calculation was float but the container was int, the automatic cast failed, I had to write a workaround.

I guess your snmpdf is something similar OR realy a bug in a Solaris systemcall!

I recommend to procede the following:
doublecheck the patches (there is a 'patchdiag' Tool on sulsolve.sun.de) and install missing patches such as ufs Patches etc. or install Recommended Patch Cluster.

If you have problems installing a patch:
create a LOCAL! Directory eg. /patches
move the Patch.ZIP file to this directory
unzip AS ROOT!
boot to single user mode and install the patch (I saw a lot of problems, when people copy patches around or unzip patches as a user)

if / or /tmp have different output (just a few blocks) I wouldn't worry; you can doublecheck this: boot from cdrom, mount / to /a and run du and df on /a

Sorry, I am not realy familiar to ssl and /dev/random...

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi Franz,

the problems are solved.

As mentioned in the posts before, a random numbergenerator is needed for the ssl encryption business. The Patch-description said, the included file is /kernel/drv/sparcv9/random. So I scanned the system for a "random" file and found one in /kernel/drv/random - aparently independent of the patch. Knowing that, I just createt a link from /dev/random to
/kernel/drv/random and that was it. Now I could compile the agent-program, that needed SSL. (By the way, it is the nrpe V.2 from Nagios) , which is SSL-enabled, contrary to nrpe V1.x. Perhaps there is a more professional solution, but as I am under real time-pressure, I postpone the cosmetics for the weeks to come - that includes of course all patch-installations.

If you are working with nagios, perhaps you are also using SMS-notification.

As I start with nagios, I'd be interested how you configured that.
But that is something that doesn't necessarily belong into the Solaris forum.

Have a nice day and thank you for all the tips.

Regards,

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back