Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DeVista-fying Gateway MT6458: Marvell TOPDOG driver??? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I am cross-posting this in the XP forum, I know we are not supposed to do this but I am desperate. This Gateway MT6458 (Turion TL50, ATI RS485M) notebook was purchased by a co-worker upon recommendation from a slimeball Best Buy salesman, who was told how it would be used, it was for his hospital-bound disabled wife. Asking a 100% competent person tho learn a new OS is hard enough; in her condition it would be a paperweight. Its "Vista Experience" was 2.1, I think. Woof.

I asked him to return it for an XP model, but he did not want to pay the 15% restocking fee, plus the salesman told him it would be fine by the end of the year...but he did not tell him his printer and scanner would not work with it nor that he could not join the company Domain with Vista Home...GRRRR [nosmiley]

Anyway, I have done all the standard steps:

Index hardware
Clone Vista drive
Load XP
Hunt-and-peck for drivers

I have done this several times with Gateway and others with excellent results, but I have found a nut I cannot crack: The built-in wireless NIC, a Marvell TOPDOG PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless Adapter [EC85]

I thought I had hit paydirt at the Marvell site that had an XP driver for the TOPDOG, but all it did within XP was identify the device, and Windows noted it would not work properly. "Wireless Network Connection" does not appear in Network Connections. Device Manager reports it as "Marvell TOPDOG PCI-Express 802.11abgn Wireless" but it still has the yellow !. The other PCI-E device, the Marvel Yukon NIC, is working fine, so I doubt it is a bus issue. There are no other !s in Device Manager and I must say it is a peppy PC w/ XP, with Vista it was a DOG, and not a topdog!

I have also tried every wireless adapter driver on Gateway's site, Realtek, Broadcom, as well as tried to run the Vista driver. No joy.

Thanks folks.

Tony

The wireless part in device mangler says
"Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection"

Burt

wiccedwiccan - I also have a mt6456 but it just doesn't seem to find any networks. If I attach myUSB wireless adapter, then the adapter has no problem finding any but the wireless won't . I wonder if I need to get rid of the usb adapter software and see if it will work.
wiccedwiccan - do you ACTUALLY FIND A NETWORK AND CONNECTR TO THE INTERNET?

mocars2---you came into the Cisco Certification forum and asked me to report back here, which is why I posted the driver/ethernet controller I DO have, thinking it would NOT help.

Burt

mocars2

It pains me to see you still having trouble after all these months, but getting drivers installed can be delicate. You really need to study lonebirch's first post. This would be my first recommendation. Follow his instructions to the letter.

If still no joy, try this: copy the whole Netgear folder from Program Files, paste it to the Desktop, rename it TOPDOG. I would go the extra step of uninstalling the Netgear utility and extras, then deleting the Netgear folder, also as lonebirch recommended.

In the Device Manager, right-click the Topdog and select "Uninstall". Reboot. When the "Found New Hardware" box comes up, choose "Install driver from a location I specify" and point it to the TOPDOG folder on your Desktop. You might have to point to the NETMW145.sys file, maybe not. Hopefully you will see those little files flying.

If this fails, set up a Paypal account and if everyone who posted here donates $.50 you can buy the Intel adapter and get some sleep!

Tony

"If it can't take it, I don't want it

I've just watched the forum patiently since my post on September 2nd. If there's anyone else out there who can't figure this Marvell Topdog issue out, Post your question and I'll do my best to get you on the right track.

Very Sincerely,
LoneBirch

Tony - thanks for our kind words, but it isn't that much pain. I have been using a USB adapter and it has been working fine for me to surf, BUT I wold like to see if someone can get this Topdog card to work. I have followed his instructions to the tee but it says it's there, the manager says it's there with no problems, but it can't find any networks to lock on to, but when I put the usb adapter in - it will find a bunch.
So my question now is who wlse has tried this method and has ot worked for them?

Is the wireless adapter enabled? Start>Settings>Network Connections right-click the adapter and be sure it is set to Enable. Many laptops have switches or buttons that kill the wireless card, does yours have one? If so make sure it's switched on. If the adapter appears in Device Manager with no yellow !'s it has to be something really basic. You are using Windows to control the wireless connection, right?

Tony

Hello all,
I have been following this thread closely since august after receiving the mt6458 as a "gift" from my stepfather (he's actually a really nice guy). Anyways, I've devistafied and everything but finally have decided to fix that wireless hookup. anyways i tried lonebirch's method, didn't work for me. So i purchased an Intel Wm3945ABG and tried to install but have met some horrific results. When I take out the Marvell TopDog and replace it with the intel (I know there are only two slots for the intel, so i just kind of guessed to put what in, maybe that's what i'm doing wrong) my computer would not start up. It would keep restarting every two seconds, I wouldn't even get the Gateway screen. How do I go about installing this bad boy?

Hmmm...the one I used was different, but that should not matter too much. As long as you replaced it to the same slot, it should work. This is a comprehensive guide, Intel is famous for good documentation:

Does anything look different than what you did? The original was a/b/g/n/ but that really should not matter, except for the antennae. I am guessing your install sequence was incorrect, check out the .pdf and report back.

Tony

You can also try using the Windows utility instead of the Intel. I had already downloaded the Intel driver only(to see if it would work on the Topdog) so it was plug & play for me, Found New Hardware wizard came up & loaded the drivers by itself, using Windows wireless utility.

Tony

I don't think the problem is with the drivers or the software. It seems to be the actual configuration of the device. The computer won't start with the Intel in it, could it be there are only two slots for the wires, when there are three wires? Which ones do I use and where would they go. On the Intel the two slots are "M N" and "Aux" while the TopDog ones I know are "Int 1" etc. Any suggestions?

What would the step by step process be to install the device anyways? Would it be to first put in the wireless and then search for drivers? Is my computer supposed to read it as an unknown device?

Those are antenna wires as far as I know. The PC should run if they are completely disconnected. I would uninstall any software you installed, shut down, remove the wires (just in case), reboot with the driver CD in the tray. If Intel splash screen pops up dismiss it. It should go to "found new hardware" and auto-install the driver only from the CD.

Then you can power down, re-connect the wires one at a time, then repeat until you find the problem. I think this is a driver/application issue, or a faulty card.

Tony

I am having problems with a my MX8734, I know there are lots of people that have experienced but none of the fixes have worked for me. I have found and installed everything successfully expect the Sigmatel 9250 audio driver. Can someone pleaseeeee help.

toprahman

One step I left out is to uninstall the card in Device Manager by right-clicking on it and selecting "Uninstall" before rebooting. Now Windows "Found New Hardware" will find it upon reboot.

Tony

mocars: Yes, I have Windows XP with the topdog wireless card and it does in fact work. The steps I performed exactly were to install the netgear software and the drivers were loaded for me by the program. I uninstalled the program and realized that it had also taken the driver with it so I just did a driver rollback and windows reverted to a saved driver somewhere in one of its hidden backup folders. After a reboot I think I had to use the Fn key and turn the wireless of and then on again and it was ready to roll. Windows was managing the wireless connections and there was nothing else for me to do.

If you are still having trouble then I'd suggest the k.i.s.s method (keep it simple stupid). Not that you're stupid, but we all forget to overlook the stupid things sometimes.

1. Check bios settings
2. Make sure the wireless is turned on or try power cycling it with the Fn key.
3. Make sure Device manager shows no problems and identifies it as a Netgear Wn311t wireless pci adapter.
4. Make sure it points to the netmw145.sys driver
5. Go into the network properties and make sure everything looks okay there. Windows managed, the connection isn't disabled, etc.
6. Disable other network/modem drivers. I have my modem and wired lan permanently disabled because I never use them. Maybe a hardware conflict is present???

With all that being said I will also say this. Everything seems to be working really good except that the wireless does disconnect from time to time. Usually if the network sits idle for more than say a few consecutive minutes. I have it set to automatically reconnect but it doesn't. In the grand scheme of things it makes it a very slight pain to double click the wireless icon and reconnect, but if I'm not using it and it disconnects than that will provide me with a little extra security. I tried changing power settings and what not, but for whatever reasons any changes I make in the device settings and to power management settings don't seem to hold, but that is a windows issue, not the system as far as I know.

hi i just try all the steps before and i got some troubles

i did install netgear driver and it doesnt work my device manager still shows a yellow signal on my ethernet controller(topdog shit)

yes i try copying the file to system/drivers folder and nothing happen, y let windows to search there ans it founds nothin

can anyone help or theres another way to do this

i really need this shit on and working :(

hop some one read this :D

1. Right-click the yellow !
2. Select "Update Driver"
3. Browse to the folder where the driver resides, and point to the file, you cannot count on Windows to do this step
4. If this fails, post your exact sequence of events (what you've done so far, with numbered steps, and how you've done it) and we'll have a look.
5. Many times the SEQUENCE is important, re-read lonebirch's first post and make sure you follow the instructions to the letter
6. Take your time.
7. Re-read lonebirch's first post
8. Document your steps in an orderly fashion
9. Avoid profanity so your post doesn't get red-flagged

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

thx tony ur so kain i thing u are a pc with artificial intelligence who has the mission of help to the needed jajaja

well i realize my problem and i got all my devices working 100% till now.

the steps was:

3. Browse to the folder where the driver resides, and point to the file, you cannot count on Windows to do this step(yep it fails)

note: i cant select the file i just can click the folder but not on files..

still doesnt work so i did back in the installation wizard and

3. choice not to search i gonna select the driver its gonna be installed from the list of device ... .. . .
4. then choice network adapter it will shows the NETGEAT WN311T Wireless PCI Adapter then just click on next and it ill install the topdog finally

Note: before those steps wn311t drivers must be installed to work propertly

and thats it now im just so happy after 4 days installin all the stuff and win the battle with my friend XP :D die diee little Vista go back to hell :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back