Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DeVista-fying Gateway MT6458: Marvell TOPDOG driver??? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I am cross-posting this in the XP forum, I know we are not supposed to do this but I am desperate. This Gateway MT6458 (Turion TL50, ATI RS485M) notebook was purchased by a co-worker upon recommendation from a slimeball Best Buy salesman, who was told how it would be used, it was for his hospital-bound disabled wife. Asking a 100% competent person tho learn a new OS is hard enough; in her condition it would be a paperweight. Its "Vista Experience" was 2.1, I think. Woof.

I asked him to return it for an XP model, but he did not want to pay the 15% restocking fee, plus the salesman told him it would be fine by the end of the year...but he did not tell him his printer and scanner would not work with it nor that he could not join the company Domain with Vista Home...GRRRR [nosmiley]

Anyway, I have done all the standard steps:

Index hardware
Clone Vista drive
Load XP
Hunt-and-peck for drivers

I have done this several times with Gateway and others with excellent results, but I have found a nut I cannot crack: The built-in wireless NIC, a Marvell TOPDOG PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless Adapter [EC85]

I thought I had hit paydirt at the Marvell site that had an XP driver for the TOPDOG, but all it did within XP was identify the device, and Windows noted it would not work properly. "Wireless Network Connection" does not appear in Network Connections. Device Manager reports it as "Marvell TOPDOG PCI-Express 802.11abgn Wireless" but it still has the yellow !. The other PCI-E device, the Marvel Yukon NIC, is working fine, so I doubt it is a bus issue. There are no other !s in Device Manager and I must say it is a peppy PC w/ XP, with Vista it was a DOG, and not a topdog!

I have also tried every wireless adapter driver on Gateway's site, Realtek, Broadcom, as well as tried to run the Vista driver. No joy.

Thanks folks.

Tony

Sorry about my lack of posting there, first week of college is always fun...

I was actualy on that site you mentioned downloading everything in site, internet in my appartment is limited so it was taking a while. I did not get the audio to work yet, but you say you used the one from may, so I'll give that one a try. Thanks so much for the help, Newegg had this notebook for 500 bucks flat so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I guess it works enough to get things done but I'd prefer it to work as advertised. Vista is a joke at this point... I doubled the ram and it was still too slow for my taste.

Thanks again for the help, realy apreciate it.

I didn't see an edit button so I'm posting some stuff I forgot to post in the first one. I don't know what version of xp you guys are loading, but the one I'm using is the x64 sp1. All I've seen in the posts above is "xp" and no mention of x64 so that may be why I'm having difficulties.

At any rate, I've tried so many drivers and the system has become cluttered with orphen registry entries and tiny self-extracting archives, I'm going to clean it up by way of a re-format/install of the os and start over with the drivers I found that DID work (all 3 of them)... Upon further inspection of the system it appears that my ethernet nic wasnt working properly either, windows reports it as fine but it gets limited/no-connectivity on any line I've attached it to. Ahhhhh *gouges own eyes out and replaces them with "alt" and "F4" keys*

I intend to give the above mentioned trick for the topdog drivers a try as well. I'll post results in a few hours on how the fresh install goes. Thanks again for the help.

the one I'm using is the x64 sp1. All I've seen in the posts above is "xp" and no mention of x64
um...yes...I for one would question the use of Win XP64 on such a marginal machine. Yes you need to nuke your HDD (I love DBAN, link above) to clear out all the varmints including the recovery partition. Maybe you should try a 32-bit install first, document what does and does not work, then try the 64-bit install. You will need to expand your search to the individual chip mfgrs, heck they may not even make 64-bit drivers for hardware on this el cheapo.

You mentioned a $500 notebook...well that's exactly what you should expect out of this one. Just get it going with 32bit and get on with your life. Then, get a capable Asus barebones laptop and build your x64 system around it, or simply buy an x 64 machine.

Wanting to take a budget Vista rig (laptop no less, even more limited hardware-wise)and force-feed it WinXP64 will be a disastrous way to start the year, plus what about all the 32-bit apps you will be expected to run as part of your classwork?

My suggestion is get 32-bit going, then run x 64 in a virtual machine like Microsoft's Virtual PC2007, or assemble a dedicated 64-bit rig. Another option would be to go with USB/PCMCIA sound, ethernet etc. if you're set on this method and simply can't find the drivers.

I truly wish you the best.

Tony

Tony

Maybe you should try a 32-bit install first, document what does and does not work, then try the 64-bit install."

NEVER! BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Actualy, x64 winxp has a pretty good x86 emulator for those apps, most of them work seamlesly (much to my supprise). I managed to get the ethernet working again, one of those drivers I installed for the wireless did something wierd with the ethernet, back to working condition again thankfuly. I'm going to keep working on this, I may end up buying an intel wifi as I have some book money left over (amazon saved a ton). Audio is my biggest concern at this point, the modem I have no use for so no big deal. I like the mention of this being a "marginal" machine, regardless of it's cheap construction, it's at least four times the computer I had before (intel celreon 2.0ghz, 512mb ddr 333, integraded graphics 64mb ddr, crt monitor from ancient egypt... you get the idea).

The point is, I dont have any money to buy a dedicated x64 machine, but the OS was free to me being a CIS major, since its a 64 bit processor, I figured why not.

I tried the wn311t driver and it seemed to install successfully.

However, the wireless adapter can not find any networks when there are several open ones in the area. It does not seem to even start the connection process.

Has anyone had success with the driver?

trustin,

I would follow lonebirch's response to the letter...and please keep in mind he might have a different rev of the card. He's watching thisd thread so you may hear something soon.

When problems like this pop up I give them a reasonable amount of time, then figure that my time is worth something. You can solve this for around $40 with the Intel card mentioned above, plus I gut $30 for the topdog on eBay. Best when to know when to cut your losses and move ahead.

Tony.

Trustin, the key here is to get a copy of the .dll (driver/dynamic link library 'NETMW145.sys'), which the netgear install places in it's own program folder, down into the 'WINDOWS\System32\drivers' folder. Then you can just remove the whole Netgear install you just put in using the software install/remove panel in the Windows Control Panel. The idea here is to let Windows have total control over the driver.

A couple of important things you will need to know:
1. The 'Wireless Zero Configuration' Service in the Windows 'Computer Management Console' must be set to 'Automatic' startup type.
2. You must let Windows have control of your wireless connections settings. If you try to use a third party wireless utility with this configuration, it will not work.

lonebirch,

lonebirch said:
Trustin, the key here is to get a copy of the .dll (driver/dynamic link library 'NETMW145.sys'), which the netgear install places in it's own program folder, down into the 'WINDOWS\System32\drivers' folder. Then you can just remove the whole Netgear install you just put in using the software install/remove panel in the Windows Control Panel. The idea here is to let Windows have total control over the driver.

A couple of important things you will need to know:
1. The 'Wireless Zero Configuration' Service in the Windows 'Computer Management Console' must be set to 'Automatic' startup type.
2. You must let Windows have control of your wireless connections settings. If you try to use a third party wireless utility with this configuration, it will not work.[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to spell it out, I wish this post had been made back in June when I needed it!

Tony

I have a Marvell Yukon 88E8038 fastethernet controller, sorry.

Burt

This may or may not be of help to you, trustin, but since this topic is still around I wanted to pass along what I had read about reverting to XP from Vista in general. In my experience it does not apply to this laptop, but things change and maybe it will someday.

It turns out there is something called the "High Definition Audio Bus package for Windows XP" , and it must be installed BEFORE the modem or sound drivers on a machine that was converted from Vista to XP (I refuse to use MS-speak and call it downgrading to XP...) There is even an MS KB article but it's quite well hidden, here is a link to Microsoft KB article 888111:

that tells how to do this. Supposedly once this is installed it will bring up the modem and sound devices in Device Manager, which can then be given the proper drivers. Thanks to Tim Conard for this info.

Tony

Who needs sound drivers? I must have missed that...I found Sigmatel drivers for my Gateway MT6821...

Burt

I am definitely not as technical as some of you here but I still need some help. I'm on my 3rd laptop so I went with the cheapest thing I could get. It's an Acer Aspire 5570Z. I don't like Vista and my company software isn't Vista compatible yet. I converted to XP and everything seemed to be fine - I was online and sound, audio and everything else was working. In the device manager, there were (!) warnings for -

Marvel Yukon 88E8038 pCI-E Fast Ethernet Controler

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Adpater

Agere Systems HDA Modem

"Mass Storage Controller - Unknown".

When I reinstalled vista the only storage controler shown was Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. I honestly don't know if this is the 'unknown' device or not.
I'm not sure why, but after a few hours I started having problems and eventually lost my internet connection. While I still had xp loaded I tried several drivers and nothing installed correctly. I have searched the net and I am going in circles. I really thought it would be a breeze to just look up drivers while on vista, put them on disk and go back to xp and install - like I did with previous OS's. NOT! I can't seem to find the drivers that are XP compatilbe for the devices.
I seriously need to get back to work as I am flat broke sitting here chasing my tail. If anyone can help with these I would really appreciate it.
THANKS!!

This might help you get online:

If not try the gateway one. I would go to the Acer site and try every driver, even those for other models. Havw you looked at the 5570 (no Z) there are XP drivers for the Atheros and LAN. I would back up a few models (5510, 5500 etc) and try all of those too. Best of luck!

Tony

I did try several of the earlier Atheros drivers that said they were xp compatible and when I tried to install them they didn't work. Since three of these are communications devices, I am wondering if there is a common denominator that I am missing. Earlier you mentioned "High Definition Audio Bus package for Windows XP". Is it possible that I need to install that to get the xp drivers to work? I'm dreading this because I only have the one pc right now and when I revert to xp and I have problems, I am screwed as far as getting online and back here for more help.
I will check Acer and Atheros out again and check out the gateway site too. Thanks for your help!

~Lorrie

Is it possible that I need to install that to get the xp drivers to work?

Quite possible. Tim Conard is the main geek behind the Geek Squad in No. CA and that tip was from a magazine article I read, where he said he had to implement that in many instances of "downgrading" from Vista to XP, and that is what many users missed. Whether it will help you or not I cannot say, it does not seem to affect the NIC. Perhaps you could call the store where you just bought the laptop and ask? Or "pop in" and schmooze with the repairpeople? I would also call or email Acer. In general, though, it does seem like a benign installation.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Tony

Thanks Tony!
In my searches today I found a site that has a long list of Marvell Yukon drives. Mine is listed there but I won't know if it works untill I reinstall xp. It does NOT list any specific driver for topdog but there are so many listed that it may work for some of us.

~Lorrie

DaBoss69,

Can you post that link here for others to benefit from?

Thanks.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Umm...you didn't mention you were running Windows XP 64-bit...but some of the drivers may still work for trustin.

burtsbees - so you checked your laptop at work and found it has the correct card we are needing help with - then you mentioned a ftp site - what happened there?
So bottom line - is your Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
working? If so How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back