Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Devices set to offline? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

craiga1027

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
US
I am running Backup Exec 8.6. Everything was working correctly until this morning. The back up from the night before failed, but it was still considered active. I finally got it to quit but now everytime I open backup exec all the devices are set tooffline. I can get them back online by going into the properties and disabeling them and then re-enabling. Even after they are set back online it won't import, export, or do anything with any media. The error message is no Physical Volume Library Robot not found. I tried stopping all backup services and rebooting the tape drive and that didn't help. any ideas?

BE apparently has lost connection to the robotic arm. You can try and reload the driver for the robotic arm. Also, on the BE install disk, there is a check box during install to tell BE there's a robotic arm. You might want to run the install again and just check that box. I would try loading the driver first. Also, just check to see if any of your cables have come loose.

-SQLBill

Maybe if you reboot the server .... blonde

It soulds like Windows has lost communication with the library

Check device manager and make sure that the library and the drives are visible. (Library should appear under medium changers as "unknown medium changer". (Do a rescan just to be sure).
If it doesnt appear the only way to get the library back is to reboot. (Make sure that the library appears in the SCSI bios when rebooting).
If the library is there try re-installing the Veritas drivers.

BI'd suggest a reboot just to clean up the SCSI bus.

Hope this helps

Cheers

I'm currently having this exact problem running BE 9.0 with a Dell PowerVault 122T VS80 DLT 8-Slot Loader. I was just curious if this problem was resolved and what you went about to do it.

Backup was running perfectly until one night when it just froze on the Loading Media.. step, haven't been able to do anything since. Every job reports an error saying the Physical Volume Library Robot could not be found.

In the past I've been able to get Backup Exec to see the library again by stopping Backup Exec services, power-cycling/rebooting the Powervault, then starting the BE services back up again.

When this didn't work it was usually because there was a tape stuck in the drive. I would have to manually eject the tape, return it to the correct slot, and do the above procedure again.

Hope this works for you!

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Tim,

Have you tried the suggestions already provided?

1. Stop the services, reboot the library, restart the services?

2. Reload the driver?

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back