Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device Pack updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
I've got Call Manager 9.1

I've been bit by the firmware bug CSCun26289. In my case, a user can't conference call using the headset. At first I thought it was just the 7962 phones, but I have a user with a 7961 having the same problem. I also see posts that this affects all 79xx phones using our current firmware load: 41.9-3-1SR4-1S

So now I'm up to downloading a device pack to catch all the 79xx phones. Since I've never done this before (I'm newbie), I have some questions:

a)The bug-fix was to install 9.4(2), released in Sept. 2014. Can I assume that device pack 9.1(2.13076) or 9.1(2.13070) have that update? When I click on the "known bugs" or "release notes" radio button at the bottom, nothing comes up so I can't tell.

b)If a) is true, which of the two device packs is the most stable? 070 was released in Dec. '14. 076 was released in Feb 2015. There is also an 080 released April 2nd, but I'm leery of the "latest and greatest"

c) Would it just make more sense to roll-back to a previous version?

d) If I roll-back, do I just type in a previous version and reset an affected phone and be on my merry way? (Probably not that simple)

What other questions should I be asking? Advice from you pro's out there who've done these device pack upgrades would be valuable!

Thanks!

OK - Got another problem. After running initial upgrades on test phones, everything went great. A few days later, I attempted to upgrade a few users to expand the test and I got "Auth Fail" on the phone. I restarted the TFTP server, and I double-checked that I typed in the load correctly. The only way to "fix" it was to re-load the firmware, which is stupid - who wants to reload firmware every time you want to upgrade a phone? What gives? Why would it work once and never again?

What is the current version of firmware on the phones that show "Auth Fail"? Check this directly on the phone. There are really old versions of firmware that was used on the 7941/61s for years that can't be directly upgraded to the latest version. For those you have to upgrade them to an middle version (I use SCCP41.8-4-1SR2S). While 99% of my phones are running the latest version, occasionally a tech will pull a phone out of a closet that had been sitting for 5+ years with a very old version. So they see that error when it first boots up. It always tries to upgrade, fails, and then registers. So the phones you have failing probably try to upgrade each time they boot up. Since they ultimately register, it may not have been reported. At least that's my guess on this.

Yeah, if its not running at least 8.4 it won't upgrade to anything higher.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS

Well - I'm getting this right off the phone: Settings button > Status > Firmware Versions....

Phone 1: 7962
Load File: SCCP42.9-3-1SR4-1S
App Load ID: jar42sccp.9-3-1es26.sbn
JVM Load ID: cvm42sccp.9-3-1es26.sbn
OS Load ID: cnu42.9-3-1es26.sbn
Boot Load ID: tnp62.9-3-1-48.bi

Phone 2: 7961
Load File: SCCP41.9-3-1SR4-1S
App Load ID: jar41sccp.9-3-1es26.sbn
JVM Load ID: cvm41sccp.9-3-1es26.sbn
OS Load ID: cnu41.9-3-1es26.sbn
Boot Load ID: 7961g_64-02070631Amd64megRel.bin

As you can see, the firmware version on both phones is higher than 8.4. As I explained, I can overcome the problem at least once by re-loading the firmware on the Call Manager and rebooting the phone, but this means that I would have to that for every phone I have.

Then the only other thing I can think of is the ITL file on the phone. If that's bad, it won't upgrade either. But reloading the firmware on the CUCM has no effect on that. The TFTP is read only, so as long as the firmware was installed on the CUCM properly and the TFTP service restarted, there should not be any reason to keep reloading it. I think the next step is to find a phone that didn't upgrade and pull it's logs to see why it failed. If ITL, you can at least download an ITL scanner (voipintegration.com makes a free one) and confirm all the phones are valid. If a few phones are invalid, then you simple erase the ITL file on the phone and it will download a valid one and should upgrade just fine at that point.

Beyond the ITL and firmware version, I've never had a firmware upgrade fail. So if it's neither of those, I'm not sure what else it could be. You might find it easier to involve TAC if nobody else can think of a reason either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back