Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

syndicate47

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2001
GB
I have resently been blessed with a Dell Power Edge 2400 running ARCServeIT software on Windows NT 4.0 Server SP6a. Our IT guys from HQ came and setup all the software and we ran a test backup to make sure everything was working. That was fine, so we set up a schedule. The next day the schedule had not worked and the device is now showing as Offline. I have read other threads but these say its driver problems, we did have the backup working at one stage so this cannot be the case. Nothing has been changed since the first test backup. I also have a message in the Activity Log saying E6300 Windows NT SCSI Port Error [ABSL:0060 CMD:0h] SCSI Command Retry this is processing about once every 30 seconds. Other sources say this could be hardware but NT backup runs fine. Any Ideas??

Running NT Backup and ARCServe together is a bad idea...
They apparently don't like each other,Sounds like one of the SCSI devices is not starting properly...
Try booting the ARVserv and Server its hanging off of to restart the SCSI device and allow NT to see it..
shutdown server
shutdown arcserve
restart arcserve
restart server

hope this helps

Hi,

We are experiencing the same problem as you explained. Every 30s the followng line adds to the log: E6300 Windows SCSI port Error ...
Do you still have this problem or if you solved it, could you please let me know how? I would appreciate this.
This event is occuring more or less once a week.
At this moment the only thing left for me to do is to restart the server eatch time this happens.

Hoping for a positive awnser...

Axel

I have suffered this problem for the last 2 days, but have resolved it by doing the following, I ran Arcserve device configuration (first stopping the tape device service and then restarting on completion)and then it would appear that the device was online, I then found that one slot of the Compaq DLT 7000 was unmounted so again I stopped and started the service, this cured it, I then put two new tapes in and awaq you go. Good Luck

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back