Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device Manager totally blank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozette

MIS
Apr 1, 1999
US
A friend has a problem with his computer shutting off at random times. In beginning to troubleshoot it I found the Device Manager is totally blank.... even in Safe Mode. Has anyone here had this happen before?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Boze

That was it. Thank you!

Now to figure out why no sounds of any kind work in Windows.

Did you check to see if MUTE is on?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

No, Mute's not on but thanks for mentioning it. Here's what I know so far

In Control Panel > Sounds where you can preview the sounds for events I can select a sound (like Windows XP Startup.wav) but the arrow to play the sound is grayed out.

I try to play a MP3 file and get the message: "windows media player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. there might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program or it might not be functioning properly"

I know in testing modems we used to use AT commands at a command prompt.. sending strings to the com port.. but I can't remember if there are equivalent commands for testing sounds at a C:>. I'm trying to figure out if it's the Windows drivers.

Device Manager doesn't show any problems. There's no actual sound card.. it's onboard the Asus motherboard

Update the drivers for the on board sound.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Look in services.msc and make sure windows audio is started.

Thanks. I'll do both. The computer is at my work so I'll let you know in about 12 hours how it went

Am trying to check the Services.MSC to make sure the audio is started. I'm not seeing a service for audio. Can you tell me what it's called? I'm sure it's listed and I'm just not figuring out which one it is
Thank you!

Found it. Windows Audio. Wonder if it could have been anymore obvious? :) Now the wav files and MP3s work! Thanks.

I do wonder why so many services are turned off. The start of this thread was about Device Manager being blank. To fix I had to turn the Plug & Play service on. Now I had to turn on the Audio service. Maybe I'll start a new post on that question. Oh, and to uninstall ITunes I had to start the Windows Installer service

Thanks to everyone for their replies and help
Boze

Outstanding! Thanks Ben! I was going to look for that info when I had time. It's exactly what I was needing.

You're welcome...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back