Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkhitrik

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
US
I have recently found a HP Pavilion Computer from a neighbor. I started it up and everything seemed fine. I ended up killin the hard drive, and then restarted it with a win 98 start up disk. when i choose to start with cdrom support it starts to load up but then says it doesn not see the cd. i've found the driver which is oakcdrom.sys which i have tryed to run and sstill does not work. does anyone have any suggestions

are you sure you've loaded the driver correctly?

and then, are you sure you've called the driver, and assigned a cd drive?

it was a bit of a nightmare configuring the startup files to load the cd drivers, and then activating the drive...

how would i load up the drivers properly

Trying going to the manufacturer's website and download the driver installation package...has always been my answer to such an issue. Then you don't have to guess IF you've installed it properly.

All great accomplishments were once considered impossible.

Look Here

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Do a google search for cdtech.sys. It's a cd driver that I've seen work on just about every CD drive I've used.

Then follow the instructions below.
----------
Boot disk with CD-ROM Support

1) You must have a bootable floppy disk to boot a computer to the A: drive.
2) From any text editor (Use Notepad or DOS Edit; don’t use Word or WordPad) create a file named AUTOEXEC.BAT with the following line in it:

drive letter:\directory name\mscdex.exe /d:cdrom

NOTE: Replace “drive letter” with the letter of the boot drive where you will be using this AUTOEXEC.BAT. Replace “directory name” with the name of the directory where the file MSCDEX.EXE is located on the boot drive where you will be using this AUTOEXEC.BAT.

EXAMPLE:
a:\mscdex.exe /d:cdrom

3) From any text editor (don’t use Wordpad or Word; use a plain text editor such as Notepad or DOS Edit) create a file named CONFIG.SYS with the following line in it:

device=drive letter:\device driver /d:cdrom

NOTE: Replace “drive letter” with the letter of the boot drive where you will be using this CONFIG.SYS. Replace “directory name” with the name of the directory where the device driver file is located on the boot drive where you will be using this CONFIG.SYS.

EXAMPLE:
device=a:\cdtech.sys /d:cdrom

4) Create any directories that the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS refer to. (None in the above examples.)
5) Copy MSCDEX.EXE and your device driver (CDTECH.SYS in the example above) to the directories that AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS refer to. (In this case – the root of A: drive.)
6) To test your configuration, reboot the computer to the floppy disk.
a) After booting the computer, the last few lines above the A:\> prompt will indicate your CD-ROM drive letter.

AckNack@diypctech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back