Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

development mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrymossman

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
Can someone help me get to the "root" of my problem? I have been using CF Studio 4.5 for quite a while on Windows 98. Now I have a new computer with XP Professional.

I can't seem to figure out development mappings. My root can't be c:/inetpub/ which is where the computer people put it, because I don't have permission to work there.

Do I need have them reinstall and somehow put the directory in my allowed area? Or can I somehow change the configuration or specify the right location in Browser Path?

you could use your IIS to point your home directory to an area that you have access to... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brannonH
if( !succeed ) try( );

How and where would I do that? I saw IIS under administrative tools in the control panel. But I don't see any way to work there.

open IIS:
then in the left pane click on the computer name:
then right click on the default web site and select PROPERTIES:
once in properties you will see a tab called Home Directory:
click home directory:
there you will see a label called Local Path:
with a text box that is defaulted to c:\inetpub\change that to the directory that you would have access to, and you would work from that directory form now on... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brannonH
if( !succeed ) try( );

The computer name is there, with a Web Sites folder under it, but no web sites.

Are you trying to host sites or develop?

If your developing, can you pull up iis? If so just setup a virtual directory (right click the folder that holds the index file of your site > properties > websharing > name it site1) than pull it up //localhost/site1

Sorry, mcsolas, not following you. Not enough coffee yet this morning I guess. Right click the folder where? Not in IIS for sure because the folder isn't there. Right clicking in Windows Explorer or My Computer Properties doesn't bring up websharing.

I was mistaken. The reason I can't do anything in C:\inetpub\ isn't a security policy. It seems to result from CF security settings. However, this doesn't help much. I tried making exempt from security but that didn't do anything. The help files talk about "advanced security" settings but there is no such thing on my administrator page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back