Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEVELOPMENT CHECK 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

davdesign

Technical User
Oct 21, 2000
GB
I would be very grateful to anyone who could be bothered, if you could pay a visit to .

I need to run checks on the following and would be even more grateful if you could fill out the form with the following info:
>download time on your connection
>your connection speed
>any flaws noticed
>useability of the chat section (Old, if your interested in this one, your password is the first three letters of the group which hosts the Round Table in CAPS)
>your resolution and any problems associated with this
>if the animations are jerky, can you tell me what size processor you have (MHz)

Just don't remind me that the buttons labels are too faded, it will be sorted before launch.

Thanks to anyone who pays a visit and provides feedback.

dave

ps: I'll be in there to chat for the next 30 mins, so I'll keep an eye out. dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

honestly guys, every single thread I open takes AT LEAST a minute to show. If you get a thread with more than 20 posts I can wait for up to 3 minutes to view it.

The reason I answer so many threads at the same time is that i 'll open up all the threads I haven't read into new windows. So I've got maybe 5 or 6 threads downloading. While this is happening I'll either make myself a cup of char or I'll be testing a fla for someone. Simple. Slow. Genius ;-)

dave dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many Thanks to Cal and Michele for bringing to my attention the Netscape issue.

I shall now endeavour to fix the problem and post results for future reference.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hello monsieur Dave,

here it is :
>fast
>adsl
>rez 1152 X 870
>processor 1 gigahertz (dual apple 500 mzh processor)
Very nice site. On IE everything downloaded fast, no problems noticed Dave, except that I could not see any of the animations. Are they online yet? All I got was a message that said "the animations will be available as of March 1 2001 "
Another remark : the words "animation" chat" etc were a little hard to read because some of the lines of the words get lost with the lines of the buttons (but that's only my opinion)
As far as the chat room is concerned, I did not have much problem with it, just that the text appeared very tiny (and that I was allllll alone in it!)
However on Netscape 4.7 for Mac, all I could see from the site was a tiny square about 1" X 1" ... I could vaguely see that the animation on your splash screen was playing, but all was contained in that tiny square.
Voila monsieur Dave, I hope it helps

Patricia

hi patricia, many thanks

>>>animations>>>have had a few minor hitches with them (ie: i deleted them by mistake so I'm having to make them again) but they'll be up tomorrow.

>>>buttons>>> i know, i know, ^^^^^see first post^^^^ ;-) haven't fixed them because of the movie problem.

>>>chat>>>it will mainly be used for arranged chats with clients abroad and for the staff at pinkzeppelin as they're in different locations. It also acts as merely a 'sweetener' for clients. I shall be setting up a forum in the next few weeks to discuss issues relating to the site and 3d animation, so keep your cache refreshed!

>>>Netscape>>>see previous thread, thanks though, you've just volunteered to test it when it's fixed LOL ;-)

Again thanks a lot for your feedback and enjoy the star!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are very welcome Dave :)

And I'll be more than happy to test the new version on Netscape whenever it's ready. I'm going to be away for a couple of days, but will check the animations when I get back.
(I'm very frustrated with the star thing. I still have not figured out how to give stars... And you surely deserve at least a couple)

Congratulations on your site and good luck!

Patricia

G4 400mhz, 64k ISDN, 1024x768 - Took about 10 sec, runs smoothly! Everything really small though, Had to zoom in to read the chat. The contact field was (almost) readable in normal size.
Very nice design. Liked the scrolling menu. Also the white frames, which gives kind of a clean look.
Thanks again for helping with my printing trouble!
Palle

thanks Palle

>>>size>>> Had a few comments about this and yours is the metaphoric 'straw'. So a text resize is in operation.

>>>scrolling>>>I posted the fla for that a few weeks ago, so if you do a search for SCROLL or GALLERY you'll find it in a previous thread, instructions attached.

>>>frames>>>THANK YOU. Someone who agrees with me at last! ;-) i don't care what anyone says about them anyway, they're staying unless I have to increase the movie-size.

>>>printing>>>No probs at all. At least we got it resolved before I was hit with the Netscape problem, otherwise it would have only been half solved!

Again, many thanks.
dave

ps: you give someone a star by clicking on "Let whoever know this post was helpful", located to the bottom left of each and every post in a thread (except your own posts). dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey! I made it! I'm the only one who hasn't received a star in this thread!
Didn't I check this for you a month ago, when you first came out with it?

:-(
test.gif

"Dancin' for stars!"

LOL sorry wee man!!

Where did you get the gif of Siobhan? (the wife)
dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave!!
I just gave you a star! I feel sooooooo empowered!
LOL

Patricia

LOL your the BEST! ;-) dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One or two points, on the chat if you enter Guest as opposed to guest, you cannot login. A link to enter as a guest or maybe if it was the default option (ie, already written in) this would solve the problem. Also, it would be nice if it took you back to the top of the chat when you entered something in on the chat function.
I make it the 4th March! LOL

will reply in sec! dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>Guest or guest>>>fair point but that's why it says "guest" in inverted commas. ;-)

>>>back to top>>>when you enter something it does take you back to the top of the chat. Unless I'm getting confused by what you're saying.

If you're around just now, I'll be in watching the chat section for movement for the next half hour.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just to acknowledge feedback so far and the changes I've made:

>>>guest entry to chat>>>
I've inserted the "guest" as default (as was mentioned by Danny) for the chat screen, also done the same for the text entry (before anyone points this out, I know that some people will hit enter and insert the text into the chat are, but I'm just gonna leave that for now).

>>>rogue cube>>>
As pointed out by Manic, this has been removed.

>>>smallness>>>
The most popular complaint (even by the gurus at pinkzeppelin).I've increased the size of most of the general fonts by 20%. Any more than that and I reckon the composition may be in danger of losing it!

I've also increased the chat text, giving it greater coverage, and used a non-serif font for readability.

>>>BUTTONS>>>
Eventually altered the font used on the buttons and gave a contrasting background and font-color. Also, I've dimmed the button outlines to make them less obtrusive.

>>>Netscape Issue>>>
From what I can gather, and I haven't done much gathering so far, the 'mini-movie problem resides in the table setup I used (???). I've now resolved the mini-movie issue by using frames instead.

BUT from my tests the main movie is hangin on the first frame (despite the fact that the mini-movie worked properly!). Now, doing a simple check and right-clicking on the movie, the flash-player being used is the Flash4 player???. Why is this, does anyone know? Has anyone had this problem? I have IE5.5, Netscape 4.7 and Netscape6, and the only one causing issue is N4.7.

Please tell me that the problem is with my software!

Anyway thanks again, proves that feedback is useful ;-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Netscape Issue>>>Problem my side. Wasn't detecting Flash Player5 so re-installed it for Netscape 4.27, and what do you know it works now! ;-) Somebody take my star away for being stupid.

However, if it hangs for you and your using N4 could you let me know, I'm wondering if the prompt to download the latest Flashplayer is busted.

I love you all!! LOL
>>>group hug<<<
>yuch<

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey you wonderful people! ;-) Is there any chance someone could check the fixed up version for Netscape 4+-.

Also, sob-sob, when my computer fried on the night of Saturday I lost all your e-mail addresses. I did, it's true! :-( So if you're out there, reading this lonely message, send me an e-mail, cheer me up! Cal, Michele, Patricia, Sam.....the list goes on and on (for a couple more anyway).

Missing you already..... X-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep ... working same as in IE now Dave ... :) looks good ... a little jerky for me but I got a poor connection too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back