Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

developing lotus notes database using version 4.6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstarcevich

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
US
I am using lotus notes 4.6. I would like to develop a database for other users in our company to be able to access from their desktops. Most of the reports I will want in this database are in Microsoft word and Excel format. Will I be able to do this, or do I need to save these reports in another format? I have been trying find how to accomplish this through the lotus notes help system, but so far it hasn't been any help at all. Unfortunately we do not have a notes administrator here so I am on my own. Any help with this will be appreciated. Judy Starcevich

Are you going to use the database as a document store or are you going to be using it to create reports/spreadsheets? Lamaar75@hotmail.com

Lamaar,
I am going to be using it as a document store only.
Judy Starcevich

Both R4.6 and R5 have the 'Doc. Library' template which would suit your needs. It supports all current file formats.

You can then change the design to suit your needs.

Hope this helps. If you are looking for smething a bit different, or looking to create it from new, I would check out the dowload section on Lamaar75@hotmail.com

Lamaar,
Thanks for your post, it helped. I was able to create the database today. Next week I will try to get it set up so others can access it from their desktops. Have a great weekend:)

Judy Judy Starcevich

Judy,

I just read your post, and thought of a short checklist of tips to ease implementation of your database.

1. The database resides on a network, which is accessible by the intended user group.
2. You have a form/forms in the database which can store attachments. These should be rich-text fields.
3. You are considering the size of the report documents in the database development process. If you anticipate storing a great number of reports here, you may wish to increase the default database size from 1 gig to 4 gigs. Note that this can only be reset when the database is being created.
4. You have created an ACL which contains the hierarchical Notes names of all intended users,and you have granted each user, at the very least, Reader access.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any specific questions about posting Word or Excel documents (or documents saved in any other program for that matter), feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Simon

Thanks Simon,
I will use your checklist.
Judy Judy Starcevich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back