Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Develope a simple activex control

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbytll

Programmer
Dec 7, 2001
SG
I'm trying to develope an ActiveX control and distribute to my customers. The aim is to allow me to create a text file on the client side when they are accessing my web site.

Can someone teach me on how to go about developing a simple activex control for that aim?
Thanks
I am a clever newbie...[peace]

First thing to do:
Decide what methods and events and properties will be needed for the OCX.
You have to sit down and design it in your head.
Put pen on paper and write down what it needs to do in pseudo code, and then you will be able to see what is required when creating the OCX.

Once you have done this, post your answer back and well start with step 2

You also need to consider the ActiveX security built into the browser. IE works hard to keep an ActiveX control that writes to disk drives on the client from working. Who knows what Netscape will try to do, assuming your users have the plug-in that supports ActiveX in Netscape?

It can be done, but there are a number of hoops to jump through, and some of them require explicit action by the user to lower browser security. This is necessary because of all the idiots out there trying to wreck the Internet for the rest of us.

It'll help a lot if you can sign your code. Developer certificates aren't cheap, I think they're about $400 (maybe only $200 now?) - but you'll have to go through a hoop or two to get your ActiveX Control signed too.

Are you sure you need to create files on the users' machines?

Think Cookies... thats an acceptable way currently of writing to clients machine if they accept them. You didn't state what your trying to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back