Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Develop a new web idea 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirjon

Instructor
Jun 6, 2002
TH
Hi,

I have a good web idea (at least I think so!)
My question is..does anybody know where we can take ideas to and perhaps get backing or collaboration?
Google throws up so many that it's difficult to know, so I wondered if anyone has any experience.

Thanks
Jb

Hi sirjon,

Can't help with where to go with your idea, but if you think you have come up with a marketable domain name, you might want to at least register it.

is a cheap and reliable registrar. Good place to start.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

First thing to do if you have an idea is to find a reputable web host, ideally in your same country and one that has good reviews and primarily good customer service. The web host, if 'good', will normally give you lots of free advice about your idea and how to implement it, and will often have knowledge of lots of other factors involved, not just web hosting. They will at least be able to tell you which parties you have to contact, example, maybe a PSP (payment solution provider) if you are selling things, or web designer (if you need certain parts of your website done by an expert). All in all a good web host company will be able to give you lots of free advice and are very helpful.

Hope that helps a little. Certainly beware of telling too much about your idea to any third party (even the web host) as you want to keep 'ownership' of your idea. Tell the web host just the main principal perhaps but not a lot of detail. They can then point you in the right direction.

Although a web host will be very helpful there are also a lot of bad ones out there. Never register a domain name with the same company who you want to host your site. This is vital! My own company made this mistake and when we wanted to change web hosts we found our web host at the time (Tableau UK) had registered the domain name with their own details, even though my company paid them to register it in our name.

To sum up - if you just need free advice a web host is a very good first point of contact, but check the reviews about them! as there are bad ones out there too. Do not give too much away about your idea.

Good luck with it. Any other questions go ahead.

MHUK said:
First thing to do if you have an idea is to find a reputable web host, ideally in your same country and one that has good reviews and primarily good customer service. The web host, if 'good', will normally give you lots of free advice about your idea and how to implement it, and will often have knowledge of lots of other factors involved, not just web hosting.

First thing I have to say about this is that you are simply taking advantage of a web host by doing this. A web host (whether good or bad) is simply a host and not an advisor for your ideas. Personally, I would help my customers with things like this but in no way would they be able to expect it, when I do that it is a goodwill gesture, this is not part of a hosts service.

If you have an idea and want advice, hire someone to advise you.

MHUK said:
Never register a domain name with the same company who you want to host your site. This is vital! My own company made this mistake and when we wanted to change web hosts we found our web host at the time (Tableau UK) had registered the domain name with their own details, even though my company paid them to register it in our name.

While one host may have done this to you, this does not mean that every host will. My company offers domain registration and the registrant details are the clients, we are the technical contact. Saying that because this has happened to you once then all hosts do this is simply untrue and you have no evidence to back up the claim.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

sirjon,
What kind of ideas are you talking about? Ideas for a website? ideas for an online business? Can you give us some more details (without compromising your idea of course) so that we can advise you better.

<!--#sig value=''É'' url='' -->

Thanks everyone, all useful stuff.
I have several ideas, mostly to do with education. All interactive, some unique in their own way, some including ecommerce.
I suppose everyone on this site has too!

I recently went into partnership with one company. I as the web developer, they as the marketing tool. I believe they are not doing justice to the site yet I am now pretty much stuck with them now.

As web designers/developers. It strikes me that there are not more companies set up specifically to develop ideas with web designers.
Perhaps there are and this is what I’d like to find out.

I think problems stem from the web designer knowing what CAN be done with a web site as opposed to people in business (marketing or whatever) having little or no idea and seeing the whole picture in a rather simplistic way.

I’ve heard people sit round tables discussing new websites for their company and saying something like “yes, we need to be able to link one page to another and it would be great if we could have a different picture on each page.”
The ideas in my head are just lost on them, I feel.

I think it’s rare to find a company that knows both web potential and marketing and that these few examples are what we see as the most successful.

Thanks again

JB

My suggestion to you would be to have and use a good (legal) "Non-Disclosure Agreement". One thing though.. NDA's found valid in one state may, or may not, be valid in another.

DakotaDuce

As I am currently encountering the same problem as you, here is my advice.

If you are a good programmer, create the idea on your own, and once it's finished, launch it as a free service during the first couple of months. If your idea is good enough, you'll find companies that would like to pour some money in it or offer you interesting partnerships.

If you're not a programmer/designer, then, I could create it for free for you under certain conditions.

Code:
(|)(|)
Code:
<=~x~>
&quot; & & &quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back