Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining when Excel "Protect Sheet" has been activated

Status
Not open for further replies.

psully52

Technical User
Aug 25, 2003
I'm interested in knowing not just at a cell level, but at a sheet level whether the "Protect Sheet" has been enabled and would like to display that in a cell. In a prior post ( I learned about whether the protection for a particular cell was enabled, but if I want to show whether the protection has been activated for the entire sheet (with a password for example) is there a way to show this in a cell?

What this will allow my users to do is to see at a glance whether the protection is set on any number of sheets in a workbook, so that they can quickly set/ermove it as needed.

Thanks,

Patrick

One method for a quick determination of whether Sheet Protection has been enabled...

...simply have your users look at the "Formatting" toolbar.

If Protection is enabled, the icons on this Formatting toolbar will be GRAYED out. And this is the case regardless of the cell they are on - i.e. even if the cell is NOT "Locked".

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dale Watson

Possibly the easiest way would be to add a "Protect Sheet" button to a visible toolbar, and then when the sheet is protected, it will say "Unprotect" instead of "Protect".

Just choose Tools > Customize, and drag the Tools > Customize button out to a commonly used or custom toolbar.

Sawedoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back