Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining Weekdays in SQL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

e7akerson

Technical User
Nov 17, 2000
US
What is the rest of the SQL statement that I would have to write to determine the amount of weekdays between two dates? The first part seems easy enough:

DateDiff(d,start_date,end_date) AS DaysDiff

but from other SQL resources the rest of this statement seems to involve lines of
coding.

Thanks for your help

You can use it in nearly any SQL statement.

Select DateDiff(d,start_date,end_date) AS DaysDiff
From table

Select colA, colB, ColC DateDiff(d,start_date,end_date) AS DaysDiff
From table

And so forth... Terry

;-) The single biggest challenge to learning SQL programming is unlearning procedural programming. -Joe Celko

SQL Article links:

MAybe I am missing something but how does that enable me to determine how many weekdays are between Start_date and End_date? For instance the DateDiff between April 30th 2001 and may 7th 2001 would be seven days even though there are only 5 weekdays. Please explain.

I couldn't find anything that was already built-in to SQL but if you're using SQL2000 you can write a user-defined function to do this. This is my first attempt at such a thing and its late in the day so I apologize if its not the brilliant answer you were hoping for. :)

Try this:

create function fn_calc_weekday (@date1 smalldatetime, @date2 smalldatetime)
returns int
as
begin
declare @weekday table
([date] smalldatetime,
day_number tinyint)
declare @num_weekdays int
while @date1 <= @date2
begin
insert into @weekday
([date],
day_number)
values (@date1,
datepart(dw,@date1))

select @date1 = dateadd(d,1,@date1)
end

select @num_weekdays =
(select count(day_number)
from @weekday
where day_number in (2,3,4,5,6))
return (@num_weekdays)
end

Then call the function passing the dates in a parameter like this:
select dbo.fn_calc_weekday('01/01/01','01/08/01')

This function can also be called from stored procedures and other queries just like any other SQL function. Let me know how it goes!

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Weekdays between dates has a different meaning to me. What you asked for I refer to as workdays between dates.

The SQL 2000 UDF is a great way to go. Thanks, redlam.

If you are running a version of SQL prior to SQL 2000, I can probably provide some straight SQL code to calculate workdays. Curtrently, the code is in Access 2000 and I will need to convert it. Let me know if you are interested. Terry

;-) The single biggest challenge to learning SQL programming is unlearning procedural programming. -Joe Celko

SQL Article links:

Thanks for the help, all. I am using SQL Server 7.0 but I am trying to get SQL Server 2000. I was hoping that there was some easy date function such as Networkdays in Excel. The less lines of code the better as I am not a natural programmer and I would actually like to understand the code instead of just typing it in and using it for this immediate need. It may sound &quot;goofy&quot; but writing simple SQL makes logical sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back