Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

determining the time to complete a report

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBob

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
CA
I have been given the task to come up with some way of estimating the time to produce a report using CR. So I am looking for input from those who have done job estimations and I'd like to know what measures were used to determine complexity. I haven't done this before and I'm finding it difficult to come up with some sort of formula, so any help would be very much appreciated!

Tough one.

You mean estimate the time for an already completed report or for a report specification? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

It would be for a report specification. A way to say this is roughly how long it will take to produce a particular report. We need to know this to provide a cost estimation in advanced of doing the report.

Assuming that the spec was clear and complete, the big variable is how well the data structure fits the needs of the report.

This will show if you can use a straight forward report, or if you need subreports, formulas and variables, the things that can make a report take days to complete.

Also, flexibility of layout. Sometimes two numbers side by side is 20 times harder than the same to numbers, one above the other. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

It is hard to estimate because of the degree of difficulty required for each report.

In my experience though, the length of time required is directly proportional to the actual look and the number of people involved with the approval of the final report.

For example:

1. Is this a new report for which there is no agreed final report format? Then get this hammered out before the report is given to the developer. Nothing is worse than constant tweaks from the user(s)

2. Is it a report conversion from say a mainframe report to a vb app or direct Crystal report? Then again don't think that a straight mirror image of the original report is enough...users have lived with this "old" report forever and many of them want changes...but often they express this "fter" the new report has been created.

3. Learn about "All" of the special cases of the data and report...before begining the report...sounds like a given but rarely is the developer given the total picture, especially if it is a new report.

Those are just some obvious thoughts....as far as time goes...a report can take a few hours or a week or more...it depends on the complexity of the report and the number of times the users ask for changes. Limiting user change orders is important.

I will throw in my 2 cents. What others have said is very useful information. I would recommend if others are involved in the specification process (as opposed to you spec and building report yourself) that you set their expectations to the limits of Crystal in the development of a report. To do this, I recommend that as part of the report specification (for complex reports) you have a prototype phase. With all this said, I don't believe it answers your initial question... Here goes my response.

A crystal report can have varying degrees of complexity. I recommend if you have several reports to spec out that you classify each in a high level category of complexity (low, med, high). Low complexity reports may be pretty easy to estimate durations for development. The medium and high complexity may require that you have a "formal" specification process. This will of course add a good degree of uncertainty to the estimation. Therefore, I recommend that you estimate the duration of the development in a 3 point estimation spread (best case, what you expect, worst case). Then get a distribution estimate on this based on your degree of confidence (eg 50% or 85%). Then you will have some better estimation.

Other things to keepo in mind. The testing (if done by you, or others) must be taken into consideration. This may be more than the development time.

In general, tyhere is no one formula foir estimating time (that would be a serious error). In stread, look as hard as you can at each, categorize, and appy appropriate project management skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back