Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining the required server horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.

glg1

Programmer
Nov 19, 2005
US
Hello all,
I aplogize if this has been covered - just point me in the right direction if it has been discussed.
We are just beginning to scope out the hardware requirements for database and warehouse. The basics are that the data will be stored on a DAS, with PostgresQL as the database. We expect roughly 300 simultaneuous users - all pulling. We will have only one administrator adding data to the DB. The database will have roughly 10 million fields split up between about 10 tables. These will be indexed. In addition, we will need moderate response times - on the order of a few seconds.

Based on query complexity (number of joins, etc.)for the average query - are there rules of thumbs to the speed of the servers required? What questions should I be asking?

Also are there some sites that are good reads for this area. I'm "semi-technical" more on the business side. Our IT guys would love all the iron they can get...

Both IBM and Sun have questionaires you can get regarding sizing of Unix servers. I have not seen similar docs regarding Windows implementations.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

A friend of mine with the same question asked their software provider, Peoplesoft, who put them in contact with the correct person at IBM (the hardware provider) who calculated the hardware size based on number of users, type of use, uptime (24 X 7 requires more hardware) etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back